PDA

View Full Version : Dell-related Install Issue for BW7?

Bear
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Friends,
Our church IT staff has had no luck trying to install my new BW7 on either of two particular Dell computers at our offices. However, they can surpass the installation hurdle on either of two Gateway machines, theough we have not then completed installation of BW7 on those units.

I think the Dell install fails at the installation of
The CATSS/Tov Hebrew-Greek Parallel Alignment Module
but I don't have it in front of me right now.

Has any of this type od Dell-related behavior been observed by others?

Puzzled. :confused:

richardsugg
09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a dell desktop, and just re-installed yesterday. I've never had a problem. Check the event viewer (right-click on My Computer, choose Manage, find the event viewer) and see if there are any error messages.

Bear
09-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Richard!
I'm at home right now (where my new BW7 works fine), but I have telephoned my young IT expert at the church office to pass on your suggestion. It has been some time since I have done any technical work on XP, but I feel a bit silly for not having thought of such a fine idea myself.

Credit (or better, a heavenly reward) to you!
:)

MGVH
09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
I had some problems installing BW7 on my Dell (WinXP Pro), but I don't think it was a Dell issue. I think it was a CD drive issue. I could get through some of the CDs, and then it would stop. My solution: I copied all the files on all the CDs to a temporary folder on the hard drive and then installed without problem.

Dogfish Jones
09-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I've installed BW7 on three seperate Dell laptops (Inspiron 8100, 700m, 9300) and have never had a problem.

Hmm. That's not true, now that I think about it. After wiping the 700m at the beginning of the month, I reinstalled BW7 and it took several installation attempts to get it to complete. It hung 3 or 4 times on me. No error messages, it just seemed to pause the installation and never pick it up again.

cyuan
09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I also had a problem installing CD 3 and so I just started all over again without installing the maps

briantipton
09-20-2006, 10:43 AM
We have a Dell Inspiron Laptop that I use at my office. I had problems installing BibleWorks and several other programs (but not all of them). The Dell Tech guys finally decided it was the DVD drive and sent a replacement drive. Since then, it has worked fine.

If you have another CD drive in another laptop, you might try swapping them out. They should both interchange nicely.

Bear
09-23-2006, 03:52 PM
All,
My sincere thanks to each of you for your ideas!

On Friday I managed to get the program installed by unchecking the module that kept hanging the installation during Disk 1:

So far everything seems to be working okay. On Monday I will try to put in the missing module by itself and see if that goes through okay. But at least I've got it running.

Since the reported error is a checksum, I think we could be dealing with a hardware issue such as several of you have suggested. Since I'm more interested in getting on with Bible research, I'll just drop the technical mystery right there.

But again my thanks to all of you for encouraging me to keep trying different approaches. ;)

Charlie
09-25-2006, 11:23 AM
All,
...On Friday I managed to get the program installed by unchecking the module that kept hanging the installation during Disk 1:

...On Monday I will try to put in the missing module by itself and see if that goes through okay...

First, thanks to all of you who have contributed. We here at tech support would certainly like to find out exactly what the cause of this has been. Any others out there please post any information you have.

Bear, As a work around I would recommend copying the entire contents of disc 1 to a folder on your hard drive. It doesn't matter what you call it, but for example create a folder called "test" on your desktop. Then click Start>All Programs>BibleWorks 7>Reconfigure...

Go through a modification and add the missing module: Hebrew-Greek Parallels. When asked to insert disc 1 direct it to the "test" folder instead.