PDA

View Full Version : Enuma Elish

ddyke
09-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I just finished the module and have to write the Readme and EE7.BWW file. Hopefully I can get these modules on the server tomorrow or Friday. They do not allow off site access.

Dan

jdarlack
09-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey there Dan, would you mind if we hosted a copy of the Enuma Elish on the BibleWorks blog?

jakemccarty
09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I just finished the module and have to write the Readme and EE7.BWW file. Hopefully I can get these modules on the server tomorrow or Friday. They do not aloow off site access.

Dan

Which text edition did you use? The SAA series? Did you do transliteration and translation (which translation)? Is it normalized? Signs perchance?

I'm currently reading Enuma Elish this semester with J. Cooper and would like to contribute, but I have no idea how to make things. I can at the very least parse all the verbs.

Ben Spackman
09-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Oh, nice ;) I'm about to start reading OB Gilgamesh, so stuff like this is good. FWIW, Logos is starting to add some Akkadian resources that would be out of place for BW (so I don't fell bad mentioning it here.) - Caplice is in the works, and there's a strong hint that GAG is coming as well.

ddyke
09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.dabar.org/BibleWorks/index.html

It is not a great version and I am looking for something better already.

Dan

ddyke
09-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey there Dan, would you mind if we hosted a copy of the Enuma Elish on the BibleWorks blog?

OK or just hyperlink to it as I try to improve the databases all the time.

Dan

jakemccarty
09-16-2006, 01:14 PM
DDyke,

Thanks for putting all these great resources online. I was wondering if I could send you texts on NW inscriptions: both unvocalized, vocalized, and then a translation and you could convert them? I'd also like to include a picture and possibly a hand trace that the texts could somehow be linked to. Note: the sin and shin would not be initially normalized...

I can get you the Gezer Calendar and several Samaria Ostraca next weekend. They will be vocalized in Classical Biblical--not Masoretic Hebrew (e.g. calb vs. celeb etc...).

Also, if its possible, I think that several of the Ugaritic mythological texts would be the most important LB texts to include in Bibleworks, more so than Enuma Elish. If you can somehow convert the Baal Cycle, Kirta, KTU 1.23, KTU 1.40, KTU 1.96, KTU 1.100, Aqhat, the Rapima texts, that would be great. I don't know where translations can be found. Also, if possible, the consontal text is really important for these texts and I know that you can get a PDF from the Ugaritic Database project. The early translations on several of these texts are not widely accepted--and I'm sure that those are the only things available.

LH (Code of Ham.) was a great idea. Other Akkadian texts worth inclusion: Middle Assyrian Laws, Mari Letters, Amarna Letters, Neo-Assyrian Campaign Inscriptions--these seem to provide the most direct Biblical paralles.

Ben,

GAG? That'd be interesting--I wonder how many Logos users would actually use such a resource. I would think Black's small dictionary would make more sense before progressing onto diachronic Akkadian grammar written in relatively difficult German.

ddyke
09-16-2006, 07:07 PM
OK, send me the stuff and we will start on it. I have Fontographer and can try to make the fonts.

Why don't we start with the Ugaritic as it is probably the easiest. Email me at dan.dyke (nospaces + shift 2) fuse.net

Dan

Dunk
09-16-2006, 07:31 PM
That's very impressive ddyke!

B.T.W After we have compiled these in BW, what happens if we ever need to re-install BW? Will we have to re-compile them again, or is there a way to back it all up?
Thanks
Dunk

ddyke
09-17-2006, 12:03 AM
That's very impressive ddyke!

B.T.W After we have compiled these in BW, what happens if we ever need to re-install BW? Will we have to re-compile them again, or is there a way to back it all up?

I copied all 18 databases I have to another computer and compiled them in less than 10 minutes.

Dan

David Kummerow
09-29-2006, 09:17 PM
OK, send me the stuff and we will start on it. I have Fontographer and can try to make the fonts.

There's some reasonable fonts on this site which may save you time:

http://www.historian.net/

Regards,
David Kummerow.

ddyke
09-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I have the Ugaritic font and am currently teaching myself Ugaritic. I have been looking at the RK Ugaritic font and comparing it to the book (Segert, A Basic Grammar of the Ugaritic Language) and not all the characters look the same, but the print in the book is too small for my old eyes at times.

Dan

jakemccarty
10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
By Ugaritic fonts do you mean the cuneiform alphabet? If so, be cautious... the Schriftlehre changes in different texts, so sometimes it is best to use a good transliteration font that will allow you to add the appropriate diacriticals.

I wouldn't really recommend Segert. Pardee has a great article in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Ancient Languages and Tropper recently published a very fun and easy to use grammar in the ELO (Elementa Linguarum Orientis) series that includes exercises and a glossary. These are both fantastic Ugaritic starts and if you decide to study the language in more detail, I'd look J. Tropper's larger grammar as well as Pardee's 404 page (AOAT) review that you can freely download online. Once you memorize all the major paradigms, the SBL Writings from the Ancient World books with Ugaritic texts will become helpful.

jdarlack
10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
...Pardee's 404 page (AOAT) review that you can freely download online...Hi Jake, what's the link to that review?

jakemccarty
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
It is actually an AFO volume--my mistake. The download link is at the bottom. I should warn you that this review is most valuable when read in conjunction with Tropper's larger grammar. http://www.univie.ac.at/orientalistik/Afo.html