PDA

View Full Version : Flag or Tag Verses in VDC

tfjern
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
I couldn't find anything about this simple question mentioned in the Help file, nor by anyone in this forum, so here goes.

I was wondering if there is a good way to flag or tag verses when using the Version Database Compiler. For example, if I add a "code" (let's say "Holy Spirit" or "Judgment" or a numerical code representing these topics) at the end of a verse in the version I'm working on or editing / creating, when I click on this code, or do a search for this code, then all the verses that have been coded with this code will appear in the Search Window. Is there any other way to flag or tag verses, because it is a little unsightly / distracting to have these "codes" affixed to the end of the verses?

jdarlack
09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
I've played around this morning with a few options, and none of them seemed to work. I don't think it's possible. By default, BibleWorks does not index text found within the "notes" of a verse, so you cannot search on them. Perhaps you can send in a feature request!

Another option would be to produce a list of topics in an HTML file with an index of each verse that applies, then you could use the Resource Summary Window to jump to the various topics.

Glenn Weaver
09-14-2006, 09:04 AM
I suggest creating lists of verses for each topic using the Verse List Manager. By creating the list of verses, you can do a lot more than if you hard-code the topics into the verses.

For example:
1) You can use the same list of topical verses no matter what version you want to use.

2) You can use the verse list in the GSE to restrict searches to those particular verses.

3) You can easily modify the verse list without having to tag and recompile a version.

4) You can easily distribute the verse list to others, without them having to know how to compile a version.

Producing an HTML Help file, as Jim Darlack suggested, would be a nice idea, too. You can include a lot of information in one of those files, information that couldn't be included in a compiled version or in a verse list.

Hope this helps.
Glenn

tfjern
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks for these tips, and they'll do OK as stopgaps, more or less, but in future versions of BW, it would be nice to be able to color code / highlight certain verses, or parts of verses, and then be able to search for these colored verses, having them appear nice and neatly sorted in the Search Window.

Glenn Weaver
09-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Not sure what version of BW you are using, but (at least in BW7, maybe BW6) you can highlight words in the text, and save the highlighted words as a color file dedicated to specific topic. There is a button to export the list of all verses in the color file.

This way you can turn on or off the color file as you wish, and you can have the verse list, too.

I'll think more about the topical tagging that you mentioned in your previous post.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

Glenn

tfjern
09-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Glenn. I'm using BW7, and yes, I'm aware that verses can be color coded in this version. What would be nice is being able to search on these color codes (or flags, tags, whatever) and having this list appear in the Search Window. This would be a killer feature, indeed. Is there any way this could be programmed into / tagged onto BW7, or would we have to wait for BW8, which I'm sure is going to be a long wait?

Glenn Weaver
09-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Not sure what can or can't be done, as I don't do the programming. Sorry. Why don't you submit the idea to ideas@bibleworks.com ?

Thanks for wanting to make the program even better.

Glenn