PDA

View Full Version : Choose a default lexicon for Lexicon Browser

David Kummerow
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm wondering if it is possible to choose a default lexicon to open when opening the lexicon browser? Currently, whenever I open the lexicon browser it always opens the Frieberg lexicon automatically. Since my primary use for the lexicon browser is for Hebrew lexicons rather than Greek ones, I am wondering how I might set the lexicon browser to instead automatically open BDB or HALOT rather than Frieberg.

Thanks for your time.

David Kummerow.

Mark Eddy
08-28-2006, 01:34 AM
BibleWorks remembers the last lexicon you had open and opens that when you next open the lexicon browser. However, it opens the lexicon for the language that is your search version. So, if you have LXT as your search version, the lexicon browser will open to your last opened Greek lexicon. If your search version is WTT, BW will open your last opened Hebrew lexicon. To choose the lexicon you want as your "default" open the lexicon browser, then click on "Lexicons" and choose your preferred lexicon from the drop-down list.
If you use the tabs, you may wish to set up one tab with WTT as the search version and use that for OT study, and open a separate tab with BGT or GNT as your search version for NT study. BW will open a different lexicon browser to correspond to the tab you have active.
As an alternative to the above, if you really want to be sure that a Hebrew lexicon opens when you are studying Hebrew, simply right click on a Hebrew word in WTT (no matter what the search version is) then click on "Look up lemma in lexicon browser" and BW will automatically open your last Hebrew lexicon.
I hope this helps.
Mark Eddy

David Kummerow
08-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding to my query.

My search version is WTT. When I take your suggestion and right click on a Hebrew word in WTT then click on "Look up lemma in lexicon browser", BW does automatically open to my last Hebrew lexicon.

But if I manually open the lexicon browser---Resources > Greek/Hebrew lexicons---then Friberg opens, even if the default search version is WTT.

How do I change this behaviour?

Thanks again,
David Kummerow.

wie
08-28-2006, 07:20 AM
I think this is a bug. The "remember last lexicon" works with Greek lexicons only.

Mark Eddy
08-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Neither of my computers displays the problem that you describe. One is running 15n, the other 15o. So if it was a "bug" it is no longer there.
Perhaps there is a perception difficulty. When you open the lexicon browser, the name of the lexicon that is open is listed in the blue area at the top of the lexicon browser. Underneath that, but above the main browser window, is a line that shows you last search within the lexicon browser. That search reference can be in a different lexicon from the lexicon that is open. For example, I currently have HALOT 2484 display on that search line for both the Greek and Hebrew lexicon browsers that I have open. But the active Greek lexicon is Moulton-Milligan, displaying a Greek entry, and while the active Hebrew lexicon is HALOT, it is displaying entry 2271, the last one that I looked up using the right click function. This confused me at first, because I expected each word I looked up to change the display above the main lexicon window, but that is not the intended function of that line.
Mark Eddy

wie
08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
I have 15n and I cannot get the lexicon browser to open with a Hebrew lexicon as default.

David Kummerow
08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Here's what works/does not work for me:

Working:
1. Right-clicking on a Hebrew word and selecting "Look up lema in lexicon browser" results in the lexicon browser opening to the Hebrew word in the last-used-in-the-lexicon-browser Hebrew lexicon.

2. Right-clicking on a Greek word and selecting "Look up lema in lexicon browser" results in the lexicon browser opening to the Greek word in the last-used-in-the-lexicon-browser Greek lexicon.

3. If when looking at the word in the Hebrew or Greek lexicon I happen to change the particular lexicon, then when the lexicon bowser is next opened via the "right-click" method, that lexicon becomes the one that opens for that language.

Not-working:
1. When opening the lexicon browser via the menu (NOT via the "right-click method")---Resources > Greek/Hebrew lexicons---then the last-used-in-the-lexicon-browser Greek lexicon opens, even if the search version is a Hebrew version (eg WTT). To me this is counter-intuitive, since if the search version is Hebrew, the likely lexicon to be used in the lexicon bowser would be a Hebrew one.

Please tell me if I am wrong and how to set the lexicon browser to open a Hebrew lexicon by default.

Thanks,
David Kummerow.

Mark Eddy
08-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Not-working:
1. When opening the lexicon browser via the menu (NOT via the "right-click method")---Resources > Greek/Hebrew lexicons---then the last-used-in-the-lexicon-browser Greek lexicon opens, even if the search version is a Hebrew version (eg WTT). To me this is counter-intuitive, since if the search version is Hebrew, the likely lexicon to be used in the lexicon bowser would be a Hebrew one.

Please tell me if I am wrong and how to set the lexicon browser to open a Hebrew lexicon by default.

Thanks,
David Kummerow.

Instead of opening the lexicon browser by clicking on "Resources" then choosing "Greek/Hebrew lexicons..." from the drop-down list, I use the "lexicons" button (open yellow book with an alpha over it) on my button bar. When I click on that button, I always get the appropriate Hebrew or Greek lexicon depending on which language is my search version. When I click on the word "Resources" on the menu first, then I get only a Greek lexicon, as you do. But I do always get the last-opened Greek lexicon, not just Friberg. I'll notify the programmers to see if they would consider this a bug.
Mark Eddy

David Kummerow
08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Instead of opening the lexicon browser by clicking on "Resources" then choosing "Greek/Hebrew lexicons..." from the drop-down list, I use the "lexicons" button (open yellow book with an alpha over it) on my button bar. When I click on that button, I always get the appropriate Hebrew or Greek lexicon depending on which language is my search version. When I click on the word "Resources" on the menu first, then I get only a Greek lexicon, as you do. But I do always get the last-opened Greek lexicon, not just Friberg. I'll notify the programmers to see if they would consider this a bug.
Mark Eddy
Thanks for the reply.

The behaviour on my computer is the same as yours: when clicking the lexicon icon, it opens to the last-used lexicon of the search-version language. But if I go to the lexicon browser via the menu, then a Greek version will always be the one that opens. So the behaviour of the lexicon bowser is not consistent between the right-click method and icon method and the menu method. I should think that opening the lexicon bowser via the menu should be the same as the other two methods, but it's not.

I had just reinstalled BW on my computer and as I work primarily in the OT, then I hadn't actually used a Greek lexicon---so it was defaulting to Friberg. But now since I've used BDAG, the lexicon browser now open's to it.

Regards,
David Kummerow.