PDA

View Full Version : Works in Progress

ddyke
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
I hate reinventing the wheel. I was thinking people need to share what they are doing so others don't waste time duplicating it.

We have these works in progress, but would hate to continue if others are doing them as well and are further along than we are:

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Entry completed and are on book four in proofreading)

Strabo's Geography (We are into book two)

The Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs (Finished and Proofread), but not put up.

Pseudo-Aristeas (The Introduction is finished, but only about two pages of text is entered)

Cicero, Duties (entered, but only partially proofread)

Basil of Caesarea, Hexaemeron (entered, but needs a major proofreading) This is also a morphologically tagged text. My sabbatical was spent writing the first two modules of a database with which to tag texts. It currently can ID 94% of Basil. This will be released when it hits 100%.

We had quite a bit of Gesenius done, but when others brought it out we gave up.

We are in a great place for access to older works because the University of Cincinnati has a fully endowed Classics department and a huge library. We also have Hebrew Union College in town. I have on my shelf a photocopy of the Niese text of Josephus that I was able to get there. If you know of a PD text, but can't find it let us try.

Dan

Michael Hanel
08-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I have the following projects in works:
Polybius' Histories
a few of Plutarch's Lives
Sophocles' Works

Works not yet started but on my to-do list

Euripides' Works
Aeschylus' Works (if I figure out copyright status)
Aristotle (if I could decide how to divide the text in a meaningful way)

ddyke
09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
My assistant, Rory, informed me Tuesday that he was just about through with entering book II of Strabo. This is not a cut and paste of the Perseus site but a fresh entry of the text so we can be certain of origin.

We also have another volunteering to do the entry of Swete's Intro to the LXX. The pages are scanned and all we have to do is correct the English and add the Greek as the OCR does not recognize Greek and of course even if it did put it in CCAT or BW format.

Dan

gcalton
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if Appian is avaliable, or if it can be put into BWs? I feel as if I am on the outside here. I see all of the generous work that everyone is doing and wish I could contribute in some way. But when it comes to all this technical jargon on RSS/inputting/version database compiler I need an idiot's guide to help me wade through everything. Once again thank-you to all who put so much effort into this program. :D :D

Michael Hanel
09-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Appian is available on Perseus and is in the public domain, the edition is 1879. To my knowledge, no one else is working on it. If anyone is, please speak up now :) If this is something you're interested in, I can probably walk you through it via email, but be patient with me if it takes a few days, classes have started back up for me, so my schedule is rather sporadic.

ddyke
09-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I assembled a module of Egyptian Magical texts for my Israel in Egypt class. The problem is figuring out the copyright status of the Miriam Lichtheim texts. They are available at a myriad of places but appear to be in copyright. Miriam died recently and so I cannot write to her. Some of the others are in the public domain. I will post it when I get the copyright stuff settled.

Dan

Dunk
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi dyyke,
That will be amazing if you are able to put any magic papyri into BW. I was just using some on Saturday, and thinking how good it would be to have it in BW.

BTW I don't mean that I was performing magic! More like sermon preparation for Mat 8:28-34.

Keep up the good work,

Dunk

ddyke
09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
I resolved the copyright issue by abandoning the Lichtheim text and going with other texts for the Westcar Papyrus.

I hope to put it up tomorrow.

Dan

ddyke
09-13-2006, 10:35 AM
We are moving well on the English by doing a little each AM. We just finished book 2 of Polybius.

Rory ran out of Greek pages to type in Strabo which is a good sign as I have to photocopy a bunch more and it means work I don't have to do.

Copyright is always confusing to me. I know many works are PD but I was told that when one makes a database of a PD work that the database can be copyrighted in its own right as it constitutes a new revision of the existing work. Is this so? If so would someone direct me to page discussing the issue?

Dan

MickZ
02-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I`m working on the German Gesenius Kautzsch Grammar (the grammar gesenius kautzsch cowley is translated from)...

And perhaps I`ll do some german commentaries from Theodor Zahn, too...

Hard work... - I`m still searching for an OCR that recognizes Hebrew (& Greek) in a good quality and costs less than 100 dollar - dreams dreams dreams...

MickZ

MickZ
02-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Has anybody raw data (chm, rtf, html, doc, txt, pdf...) for

- the Gesenius Gammar (english)

- the BDB dictionary // Gesenius dictionary so that I can translate it to German...

- some other greek/hebrew dictionary?

Mark Eddy
02-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Has anybody raw data (chm, rtf, html, doc, txt, pdf...) for

- the Gesenius Gammar (english)

- the BDB dictionary // Gesenius dictionary so that I can translate it to German...

Why would you want these? They are already available in BW (Gesenius only in BW7). You can use the export function in BW and create .txt files of these works (though I don't know how well that would work with the multiple fonts). But these works were all originally published in German, so why try to translate them back into German from English?
Mark Eddy

MickZ
02-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi Mark Eddy,

I have the german original of the Gesenius Kautzsch Grammar (there`s no electronic one), and I don`t want to translate it. The raw files I just need so that I don`t need to retype all the hebrew stuff. I just want to replace the english with the german text...

The german BDB is still under copyright; so if you want to have your own german dictionary you have to translate it yourself :-(

I hadn`t known that you can export the text of the modules! Thanks for the tipp!!!

Michael

Mark Eddy
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Hi Mark Eddy,

The german BDB is still under copyright; so if you want to have your own german dictionary you have to translate it yourself :-(
Michael

I am not familiar with copyright laws in Germany, but BDB was published in 1907, based on earlier editions of the Gesenius Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon. The last edition BDB mentions using is the 1905 Gesenius-Buhl (14th edition). I personally have a copy of the 15th edition of Gesenius-Buhl, which was published in 1910. In the United States that puts it in the public domain. If you are interested in getting German translations of the Hebrew words into BibleWorks, you could scan an older edition of Gesenius or Gesenius-Buhl, and just overlook all the Hebrew (or delete it all). When BDB first appeared in BibleWorks it contained none of the biblical references or transliterations, and if I remember correction many of the Hebrew words within the entries were missing (though I could be wrong on that). No matter what you do, it would be a lot of work. But you might be willing to put up with Gesenius German definitions having nonsense interspersed, and gradually fix the "nonsense" over time. But with the amount of time you would have to spend on this project over the years, a $100 program looks really cheep, if it will recognize Greek and Hebrew. If you develop a Gesenius module that works well and could be distributed more widely, maybe BibleWorks would reimburse you for the cost of the program you needed to buy in order to scan it. At least it would be worth asking.
Mark Eddy

MickZ
02-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Hmm, I`ll see what I can do...

The latest German Ediotion is the 17th from 1915 [ok, the 18th edition is in Progress now] - I thought that should be free already, but I asked the publisher and they said that they still have the copyright... - I`ll think I give it another try...

I`m afraid I have no older edition then the 17th...

Michael

Nikos
02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know if anyone is actually working on entering Smyth's grammar?

It seems that it might be on some peoples' radar screens; or not? It would sure be great to have. (And yes, it is available online at Perseus).

Also, I am assuming this would not be the latest edition (from the 1950s(?)), but that's also a factor that would be nice to know about.

Thanks, especially to you wonderful people who are making so much of this available. :o

Michael Hanel
02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Does anyone know if anyone is actually working on entering Smyth's grammar?

It seems that it might be on some peoples' radar screens; or not? It would sure be great to have. (And yes, it is available online at Perseus).

Also, I am assuming this would not be the latest edition (from the 1950s(?)), but that's also a factor that would be nice to know about.

Thanks, especially to you wonderful people who are making so much of this available. :o

I do not know of anyone working on it, but I agree it would be an awesome asset. I've asked that it be one of the projects BibleWorks adds to their to-do list, but I don't think it's quite made it on their radar yet. Someone began to input parts of it on the CCEL page (http://www.ccel.org/s/smyth/grammar/html/toc.htm), but has long ago stopped. If you're into this, I'd definitely encourage you :)

Nikos
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Question: you said: "I've asked that it be one of the projects BibleWorks adds to their to-do list, but I don't think it's quite made it on their radar yet."

Does this mean you asked for it to be included as an official BW production (not a user-mod)? I just wanted to make sure.

Personally, I would be really happy to see it put out as an official product, among many reasons, one being that the latest edition could be used (I believe it is still copyright). The old one has a different numbering, a BIG draw back (unless one is just using it by themselves, but in a community, like in a class with freq. references, quite a draw back). This would mean it would have to be bought individually, but I would be more than happy buying this! Quite handy to have in BW.

Nevertheless, it would certainly be worth it, for the broader community, to get out the older version. The CCEL work looked great, too bad it's stopped for now. As far as what I personally could contribute, I would have to be convinced the other avenues are really dead ends for quite some time into the future, we'll see what happens.

Nikos :rolleyes:

Michael Hanel
02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Question: you said: "I've asked that it be one of the projects BibleWorks adds to their to-do list, but I don't think it's quite made it on their radar yet."

Does this mean you asked for it to be included as an official BW production (not a user-mod)? I just wanted to make sure.

Correct, asking that it be a BW-add on. From their end of things they would have to know that it is a high-demand item. And it is, but they are also working on other projects and they can't really divert resources to start something new. So, to the best of my knowledge, there are no official BW people putting this on their table for now, which means it is something that would be useful for users to develop if you can get people together (or have the time and energy to do it yourself).