PDA

View Full Version : How do I search for ...

Greg Ward
05-03-2004, 09:16 PM
How can I get a report listing the text word, lexical form, and worded parsing for only verbs in a passage, say Ephesians 1 in BNM or Psalm 13 in WTM? I'm looking for output similar to the Greek linear morphology display or to the report generator but only for a specific subset, verbs. I've tried using the Word List Manager and the Report Generator. The only way I've found so far is to generate a report and then edit out the many forms I don't want. I use this to help me learn the verbal systems better and to speed up my translation when time is lacking.
Thanks, Greg Ward

Joe Fleener
05-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Here it goes:

1. Create a "Custom Search Range"

1a. Tools - Options - "Search Limits" tab.

1b. Add a "Custom Search Range" for the BNM titled Eph 1 Range = Eph 1 and click Add.

1c. Select the radio button "Limit the search using a custom search range. Make sure your new Eph 1 range is highlighted.

1d. close the option window

2. With BNM as your search version search for all your verbs (you should see the upper left hand box of those four green boxes be yellow now instead of green). .*@v*

2a. This will give you all the verbs in Eph 1.

3. Tools - Word List manager

3a. Click Load or Generate Word List

3b. Select "Load hightlighted words from last query"

3c. deselect "keep morph codes"

3d. Select "Keep Greek accents..."

3e. Click "Create list"

You will now see all the verbs from Eph 1 loaded into the Main Word List.

4. Make Lexicon

4a. First select all the words (select - select all)

4b. File - Make Lexicon from selected words

4c. Choose the lexicon or lexicons you want to include in your user defined lexicon.

4d. Click OK.

4e. Your editor window will now contain your lexicon on all the verbs from Eph 1.

You can hightlight everything and copy it to Word or some other program from this point.

Hope that is what you want and that it makes sense.

Eric
05-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. This was very helpful.

Greg Ward
05-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks. Here's what I came up with following Joe Fleener's directions (search limits only Eph 1:3 for this example and a brief lexicon):

euvloge,w (1 times)

UBS Greek Dictionary:

euvloge,w bestow a blessing upon,...

To shorten the process, one could in set search limits on the command line: l Eph 1.3

Or even in WLM generate a list from Bible Version: BGM and Verse Range Limits: Eph 1.3

But what I am looking for is similar to the following output from the Report Generator, but only for a class of words (in this case verbs) rather than every word in the text:

12. euvlogh,saj euvloge,w - vpaanms (verb participle aorist active nominative masculine singular)

13. ...

The only way I can find to get there is to generate a report and then edit out all the non-verbs.

Any ideas?

Joe Fleener
05-05-2004, 02:15 PM
12. euvlogh,saj euvloge,w - vpaanms (verb participle aorist active nominative masculine singular)

13. ...

The only way I can find to get there is to generate a report and then edit out all the non-verbs.

Any ideas?

You are correct in you short cut ideas. There is always more than one way to do things in BW.

However, I think that the only way (I hesitate to say such a thing after making the above statement) to get the parsing type information you are looking for is in the Report Generator.

You can limit the lexicon entries to verbs only (or any other Morph code) by placing

v*

in the Morph Code Include Filter.

This will still list all the words in Eph 1:3, but it will only give the Lexicon entries for the verbs.

This may be a bit closer to your goal.

SCSaunders
05-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks Joe! I know someone else I can share this with. He likes to work through a passage in this very-spelled-out format and perserve it in hard copy. Very helpful. :)