PDA

View Full Version : Any BW plans for clausal searches?

Dunk
08-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi,
Just wondering if BW has any plans for implementing clausal searches in BW? I've been looking at opentext.org lately and wondering if this is a database that BW would end up using.

One the one hand I have reservations about a database where clauses have been categorised, but on the other hand I can see how this would be useful in a number of searches.

Does anyone here use the clausal searches in Logos 3? It looks like an attractive feature, although it wouldn't be worth the cost if BW will soon have a similar feature.

Thanks
Dunk

Dunk
08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
B.T.W I have just emailed BW about this.

Dunk
08-23-2006, 12:50 PM
True to form, Bibleworks got back to me within hours and told me thje following:

'The best implementation of clausal searching is a topic that still, we think,
requires more study. Along this line, we're certainly discussing
various kinds of new databases for the needs of our users, and that databases tagged at the clause level are one type of database we are discussing. A near-term implementation, though, isn't likely.'

It's good to know that Bibleworks aren't going to rush into something, but that at the same time they are considering clause level databases.
In the meantime I'm watching the Logos website to see the examples they keep putting up, to try to ascertain how useful clause level searches are.
Anyone got any thoughts?

Dunk

Jonhenry
08-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I believe that syntactical searches provide a helpful way of homing in on certain usages, and would be great for those trying to understand certain patterns of syntax. It's all part of "working from the top to the bottom, and back up again."

However, while I think that a database such as this is useful (especially to those intent on discourse analysis), I think that in some ways the work is best done by the individual wishing to do the analysis. The discourse provides the basis for the interpretation of its own self, not necessarily syntactical features of another discourse. Any syntactical features in question (e.g. proposition A + genitive B=X) in the actual discourse can be found and compared (and some weeded out) with the GSE.

In short, I think its the "lazy" part of me that wants to see opentext.org loaded onto my system. The rest of me says "just go to their site...for the rest, craft your own syntactical usage concordance in the GSE."

At least that's what I think as of now. Maybe someone else can shed their light of learned opinion.

MGVH
08-23-2006, 04:13 PM
I've done a fair amount of work with the clausal searches in Logos3.
A) It's a great tool and allows one to look at and analyze the text in ways that are otherwise quite difficult to do.
B) There is a considerable learning curve figuring out how the clausal schemes are construed.
C) There are still lots of errors and inconsistencies in the clausal analysis texts.

>>> Clausal analysis is not yet ready for prime time, but it holds great promise.