PDA

View Full Version : Display Languages - Aramaic

frdee
08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I was wondering whether you could include "Aramaic" as a separate language. It irritates me (I'm easily irritable) to find the Peshitta and the Targums listed under Hebrew.

Damian McGrath

Ewan MacLeod
08-18-2006, 09:53 AM
I think this would be a valuable change, too. However, there are lots of places throughout BibleWorks where it would have to change. With more Aramaic resources coming into BibleWorks, this is a good time to make the change.

- Ewan

frdee
08-18-2006, 01:23 PM
However, there are lots of places throughout BibleWorks where it would have to change.

- Ewan

You're right of course - the actual files are coded as Hebrew (though a quick search and repalce may be able to change this).

My point is as pedantic as anything else. Putting Aramaic texts under Hebrew is like putting French under Spanish or English under German.

Damian

jakemccarty
08-19-2006, 04:06 PM
You're right of course - the actual files are coded as Hebrew (though a quick search and repalce may be able to change this).

My point is as pedantic as anything else. Putting Aramaic texts under Hebrew is like putting French under Spanish or English under German.

Damian

No problem with being pedantic; you're right. They should simply create an Aramaic language section and include Syriac underneath it--and your analogy is absolutely correct.

New Aramaic resources? That'd be great. I guess the Pesh. for the OT would be next.