PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Hebrew noun patterns and feature request

jakemccarty
07-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Has anybody figured out how to easily search for the different Hebrew noun patterns (e.g. qAtEl etc...)?

The process of creating null letters and vowels seems like it could be greatly simplified and that one should be able to put ?qamets?tsere? etc... and that a special gutteral markings is created so that when searching for verbal/nominal patterns, one doesn't have to go through the rigamarole of creating a search 4 or 5 times for each slot (e.g. ??heh, ??resh, ??heth, etc...) and when one has to do this for every consonant letter there are a 125 combinations with a trilitteral root!

Ben Spackman
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Are you using the "Define Compound Word" functions?

Charlie
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Jake,

I believe everything you are looking for is already possible. To turn on vowel-point sensitive searching right click on the command line. You can use the standard * and ? wildcards for consonants and there are even special vowel-point wildcards if you need them, or you can just type a specific vowel-point under the ?. For more info on vowel-point wildcards click Tools>Options>Wildcards and read the Help.

Also, you can use brackets {} on the command line which work sort of like the ? but where you can specify a list of possible matches for the "wildcard." For example the following KJV search will find all the hits for till, tell and toll, but not tall.

.t{ieo}ll

And since command line syntax is identical in all languages you can do the same thing in Hebrew (WTM) to find all I Guttural verbs:

.??{ahx[}@v*

If you don't understand what the @v* means, see the brief tutorial posted here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483).

I hope that helps.