PDA

View Full Version : Earlier Hebrew Texts

Adelphos
07-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I wonder (wish), has anybody compiled earlier Hebrew texts for BW??? Such as earlier editions of BHS, Ginsburg, Ben Chayim, etc?

Or does anyone know if these texts are even in textual electronic format yet? I know Ben Chayim, Ginsburg, and perhaps others are in PDF format, but they haven't been OCRed as far as I know.

It would be very nice, with the BW color/compare tool, to have these older texts carved out for BW.

MWMiles
07-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Hmmm.

According to the Bibleworks 7 Online Help file list of New Base Package Databases and Bible Versions we should have the Ginsburg ben-Chayyim with partial Masoretic notes. I'm staring at the drop-down list of references on my current installation and I'm not seeing it. Of course, I sometimes miss seeing the ketchup bottle on the dinner table as well.

In addition to the works that you cited, I'd like to see Ginsburg's work on the Massorah included in Bibleworks (it would require additions to the Hebrew fonts to correctly display the Majestics, inverted nuns, etc.) and other works by Ginsburg including his Introduction to the Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible, his works on the Song of Songs and Coheleth, among other valuable contributions that C.D. Ginsburg made.

I'm also a big fan of E.W. Bullinger's works and wouldn't mind seeing some or all of his Companion Bible notes as part of the available works in Bibleworks. These would be of much more value, in my opinion, than the Matthew Henry Notes. Bullinger's work on Gematria is excellent and is a real eye opener in Bible studies. It's kind of nice to know what it means when Father changes Abram and Sarai's names to AbraHam and SaraH; each receiving an Heth, the 5th letter. The number 5 in Scripture refers to grace.

Perhaps someone can show me where the Ginsburg ben-Chayyim work is in Bibleworks.

Michael Hanel
07-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Hmmm.

According to the Bibleworks 7 Online Help file list of New Base Package Databases and Bible Versions we should have the Ginsburg ben-Chayyim with partial Masoretic notes. I'm staring at the drop-down list of references on my current installation and I'm not seeing it. Of course, I sometimes miss seeing the ketchup bottle on the dinner table as well.

In addition to the works that you cited, I'd like to see Ginsburg's work on the Massorah included in Bibleworks (it would require additions to the Hebrew fonts to correctly display the Majestics, inverted nuns, etc.) and other works by Ginsburg including his Introduction to the Massoretico-Critical Edition of the Hebrew Bible, his works on the Song of Songs and Coheleth, among other valuable contributions that C.D. Ginsburg made.

I'm also a big fan of E.W. Bullinger's works and wouldn't mind seeing some or all of his Companion Bible notes as part of the available works in Bibleworks. These would be of much more value, in my opinion, than the Matthew Henry Notes. Bullinger's work on Gematria is excellent and is a real eye opener in Bible studies. It's kind of nice to know what it means when Father changes Abram and Sarai's names to AbraHam and SaraH; each receiving an Heth, the 5th letter. The number 5 in Scripture refers to grace.

Perhaps someone can show me where the Ginsburg ben-Chayyim work is in Bibleworks.

You'd have to get an answer from BW staff for an official word on this. I can't remember right since I don't keep tight track of Hebrew resources, but I think the catch in ben-Chayyim might have been getting permission from the copyright owner, so they did plan (or still do plan?) but before they release things I guess they have to make sure everything else is okay. That's what I recall, but I would ask someone who really knows :)

MWMiles
07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
You'd have to get an answer from BW staff for an official word on this. I can't remember right since I don't keep tight track of Hebrew resources, but I think the catch in ben-Chayyim might have been getting permission from the copyright owner, so they did plan (or still do plan?) but before they release things I guess they have to make sure everything else is okay. That's what I recall, but I would ask someone who really knows :)

I have a copy of Ginsburg's ben-Chayyim here in printed form that was published by the British and Foreign Bible Society. It was subsequently printed by the Trinitarian Bible Society. I obtained a letter from them several years ago that effectively gave me the green light to publish that work in electronic format... I wonder which drawer it ended up getting stuffed into. :)

I believe that the TBS still sells this edition coupled with the Delitzsch New Testament.

While I'm musing about works that I'd like to see in Bibleworks, the Rotherham version and the Moffatt versions both come to mind.

Ben Spackman
07-09-2006, 10:53 PM
It was available in the beta, as I remember playing with it a bit. But I believe right before BW 7 was released, there was some licensing issue that cropped up. I don't remember hearing anything else about it.

MWMiles
07-09-2006, 11:04 PM
It was available in the beta, as I remember playing with it a bit. But I believe right before BW 7 was released, there was some licensing issue that cropped up. I don't remember hearing anything else about it.

Thanks for squaring me away on that. I thought that I might be suffering from a relapse of "not seeing the ketchup for the peas" syndrome.

If Bibleworks needs the permission that I have for the Ginsburg work to get it out so people can use it I'd certainly start rummaging through my desk drawers for the letter that I have from Trinitarian. I had discussed with Mike Bushell via email a few years back about this very work.

Adelphos
07-09-2006, 11:06 PM

Ditto, but don't hold your breath. I'm not aware of any of Ginsburg's works, apart from his actual text, existing in electronic format. Same with Bullinger.

Matthew Hentry's commentary has been in electronic format and in the public domain for almost as long as computers came into homes, so it was only natural to include it in BW, and for some of us, it is still one of the premier commentaries extant. I know many people who would do well to read and study it carefully. In fact, it's the only commentary I recommend to newborns in the Lord Jesus, excepting Spurgeon's Treasury of David for morning devotions.

Of course, I would also love to see Bullinger's works included in BW as well, but that's probably just not doable at present.

For that matter, I'd like to see Buxtorf's works in BW more than Ginsburg and Bullinger combined, but it's a serious chore to even find his works in print, let alone electronic format.

But who knows, maybe some industrious fellow will produce all these goodies before the last trump sounds. In the meantime, it would be nice to get a few of the older Hebrew editions into BW, if nothing else.

I believe Michael is right about the copyright issue, as it rings a bell with me, too.

Oh yeah.. I'd love to see K&D in BW, and that is doable, as it is in the public domain. E-sword has done a nice job with it.

MWMiles
07-09-2006, 11:20 PM
For that matter, I'd like to see Buxtorf's works in BW more than Ginsburg and Bullinger combined, but it's a serious chore to even find his works in print, let alone electronic format.

But who knows, maybe some industrious fellow will produce all these goodies before the last trump sounds. In the meantime, it would be nice to get a few of the older Hebrew editions into BW, if nothing else.

I believe Michael is right about the copyright issue, as it rings a bell with me, too.

While we're at it, we can all hope to have Frensdorff's Massorah Magna and my personal favorite, Frensdorff's Das Buch Ochlah W'ochlah, along with perhaps Israel Yeivin's Introduction to the Tiberian Massorah.

You can find Ginsburg's Massorah online as PDF files if you Google for them. I only have a partial set of the printed volumes here. The rest of his stuff is mostly available as PDF but is kind of difficult to come across. Likewise with the Companion Bible by Bullinger.

I've never seen any of Frensdorff's works in electronic format, so I'm really happy that I managed to purchase them several years back. :) Being a geezer has it's benefits, I guess.

Adelphos
07-09-2006, 11:30 PM
You can find Ginsburg's Massorah online as PDF files if you Google for them. I only have a partial set of the printed volumes here. The rest of his stuff is mostly available as PDF but is kind of difficult to come across. Likewise with the Companion Bible by Bullinger

Yeah, but I don't know of any of these are actual text files. All the PDF stuff I have from Ginsburg et. al. are images, i.e., not exportable to text.

But since you mentioned Frensdorff, why don't you go ahead and convert his Masorah Magna to BW format for us? ;)

Bact to reality, I'd be satisfied with a few simple beginnings, even if it's nothing more than getting the copyright issue resolved and including Ginsburg's text.

MWMiles
07-09-2006, 11:37 PM
But since you mentioned Frensdorff, why don't you go ahead and convert his Masorah Magna to BW format for us? ;)

I'll do it on my breaks at the steel mill! :)