PDA

View Full Version : Setting up and learning BW7

MGVH
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I have encouraged students to buy BW7.
I have encouraged them to look at the video tutorials.
We have offered BW training workshops.
I model the use of BW in the classroom...
... and most of my students still are not close to working comfortably with BW or realizing its potential. So, I've written up a 3 part, step by step approach to 1) setting up one's system for Unicode and practicing using a Greek keyboard, 2) setting up BW7, and 3) a number of typical exercises designed to familiarize the student with BW7 and demonstrate some of its capabilities.
If any of you would have a chance to look it over, everything is posted (along with some other stuff) at http://www.gettysburgseminary.org/mhoffman/other/bw7&logos.htm
Certainly some of you probably have different favorite versions that you use, but please overlook those particular preferences of mine.
I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on improvement.
Thanks. Mark

Adelphos
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM
I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on improvement.

I think that's a pretty good on-the-job training curriculum.

I would add one thing (unless you included it and I just missed it) -- alert your students to the "command line examples" option which can be accessed by clicking on the crossed hammer and wrench icon at the far right of the search window.

Even though I've been using BW for years, I still often need to refresh my memory on proper command line syntax at times, and I find the easy access to these examples from this icon in the search window to be one of the great additions to BW 7, unsung as it is.

Also, I would emphasize that "command line morphology help" be checked, which option can be accessed by right-clicking on the command line.

All in all, a very helpful little work-through.

MGVH
07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Scott.
I did update both the BibleWorks files and included some searching tips.
I also remembered to add some notes about using NAU and Strong's in the OT for those who don't Hebrew.
It remains a work in progress...

calvary
07-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Mark,

Thank you for this great resource. You've just saved me a whole bunch of time because I normally go over to my friends houses and set up their Bibleworks for them.

Blessings to you my friend

Dave

Charlie
07-13-2006, 02:39 PM
This is great stuff Mark. I know you already have this document, but incase others here don't, I do recommend folks see the "First Things" tutorial posted here. I covers the essentials that everyone needs to know in order to avoid running into frustration with BibleWorks. I welcome feedback on this doc as well.

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483

MGVH
07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Charlie. I had forgotten about that resource. A link to the page with the document is now included as part of the setup document.