View Full Version : How Do I search to see how many times a certain word appears in the Didache?
06-29-2006, 07:06 PM
I am still in the process of creating a concordance of the words that appear in the Didache. My new questions is this: how do I find out how many times a certain word appears in the Didache alone? For example, I know that avgapa,w occurs 7 times in the Didache. How do I find these occurances without having to search the whole APF text? Thanks again for any and all help.
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
To create the list of words as you described,
1. Click on TOOLS and choose WORD LIST MANAGER from the menu.
2. In the box that opens move your mouse to the lower right and click the LOAD OR GENERATE WORD LIST button.
3. The CREATE WORD LIST window opens. At the top, click on the down arrow to display the list of Bibles and databases installed on your system.
4. Select the desired database from the list (in this case, the Didache.)
5. Leave LOAD WORDS FROM A BIBLE VERSION selected (even though it is not a Bible.)
6. Verify that the verse range displays references relevant to the Didache.
7. Click on the CREATE LIST button.
8. When the list has been created, each word will be listed, with its number of occurrences. You can scan through the list to select and delete entries if they are not needed.
9. When you have finished with the list editing, you can then save the list, export it, or in other ways make use of your results.
By the way, you may find the video demonstrations that come with BibleWorks to be very helpful here and with other tasks. If you have version 7, open the Study Guides window (click HELP on the menu bar and choose STUDY GUIDES from the drop-down list) and look under the column labeled Analyzing Bible Text. Find and click FINDING THE NUMBER OF WORDS IN A BOOK. When the next window opens you will see a written description of the task, and can click on CLICK TO PLAY to view the video.
If you have version 6, then you can find a video titled The Word List Manager under Managing Lists of Words and Verses. (Open the Video Library from the HELP menu on the menu bar, or find the selection for Video Demos under the Programs section of your Windows START menu.)
I hope this answers your question and helps you with the function you wanted to accomplish.
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
With APF or APM as the search version on the command line type "l did" (that's a lower case L to limit the search to did for Didache). Then hit the enter key. Then right click on any word in the Didache that you want to search, and choose "Search on lemma". And you'll have your list of occurances of that root word in the Didache.
07-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Mark. Emellett and CBK78
I was very interested in this topic, as I am trying to study 1 Clement and have discussed my interests in this forum.
I followed the advice given with slight modifications. In the CREATE WORD LIST window I entered 'verse range 1Cl' and APM as my data base. It worked perfectly.
So I am very grateful to all of you.
I have been looking at this forum for ideas to help in my studies and this discussion vindicated my efforts.
So thank you all (and this list) very much.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.