PDA

View Full Version : Verse tagging or categorizing?

naked
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Is this possible in bibleworks? As I read through the scriptures, I write down verses on index cards, and on the back I write "tags" so I can quickly thumb through the cards to find the verse I want.

I use BW 6.0 and haven't find this feature? Does it exist in 7.0?

I'd like to be able to say, click or select somehow my "poverty" or "service" tag, and have it pull up all the verses I have tagged accordingly.

L

arggem
06-29-2006, 12:07 PM
I'd like to be able to say, click or select somehow my "poverty" or "service" tag, and have it pull up all the verses I have tagged accordingly.

L
I don't think there is anything quite exactly as you are asking (if there is, I hope something chimes in), but I can think think of a couple of ways to sorta get at that.

1. Use the verse list manager. When you come upon a verse on poverty, for example, add it to a verse list on poverty. (This willl work in BW6).

2. Add the "tag" to a User Notes file along with a hyper link to the specific verse. Then you can search the notes folder and it will give a list of files, from which you can click and open the notes file, and then click the link to open the verse. This will only work (if you can call it working) in BW7.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Adelphos
06-29-2006, 11:51 PM
1. Use the verse list manager. When you come upon a verse on poverty, for example, add it to a verse list on poverty. (This willl work in BW6)... Anybody else have any suggestions?

For what it's worth, I use this feature exhaustively for exactly this type of thing. I create a VLM file for every subject under the sun that interests me -- blood, prayer, angels, Hebrew and Greek words/forms, and so forth.

For example, I have a VLM file called "Amarna Letters." In this file, I listed various verses that are relative to a statement from the Amarna letters, eg. --

First, the quote from the Amarna Letters:

"...and Zurata took him and sent him home from Hannathon, for Zurata had received his ransom money in his hand." ANET, p 485

Now the relevant verse:

KJV Joshua 19:14 "And the border compasseth it on the north side to Hannathon: and the outgoings thereof are in the valley of Jiphthahel."

In the notes for this verse I have the above Amarna Letters quotation typed in so that it's readily available every time I pull up this verse in BW.

In other words, every time I want to refer to the Amarna Letters, I open the VLM file and export the verses to a tab. Now I have the quotation for each of the statements from the Amarna Letters in the relevant notes verse every time I click on that verse in the search window.

I find the VLM to be an excellent tool for categorizing subjects and information in this manner.

And before anybody asks, I don't by any stretch of the imagination have all of the Amarna Letters verses tagged and type in, so forget about polling me for the file! ;)

I will, of course, be happy to share it if I ever complete it, but that's a big if!

Michael Hanel
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
And before anybody asks, I don't by any stretch of the imagination have all of the Amarna Letters verses tagged and type in, so forget about polling me for the file! ;)

I will, of course, be happy to share it if I ever complete it, but that's a big if!

Hey don't worry, incomplete projects are my specialty. Although in this case, you're probably on your own unless someone else wants to join this labor of love :)

Adelphos
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey don't worry, incomplete projects are my specialty...

Yeah, but those projects of yours entail a boatload of work. I think you deserve a public "thankyou" for all your hard work on the Greek classics...

Now then, when did you say it would be completed? And what's taking so long? ;)

Michael Hanel
06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah, but those projects of yours entail a boatload of work. I think you deserve a public "thankyou" for all your hard work on the Greek classics...

Now then, when did you say it would be completed? And what's taking so long? ;)

Well it is partially self-serving. Greek is a passion, I just decided it's nicer to share :) There are many different things I'm working on (how very unlike my ISTJ personality).

So many more things to look forward to. :) We have the morphology of the Odyssey 75% done and I will release that when it is completed. Someone is helping me convert an English translation of Herodotus. Someday I'll get around to adding the final few works (Gorgias and Theaetetus)to Plato's Works in Greek. There will likely be a very large chunk of Plutarch's works (including all of the Parallel Lives) that comes out sometime in the near future. Anyone who believes in synchronic word studies and wants to see for him/herself what the texts have to say will appreciate this. But I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I have about 60 different writings to convert, only having about 12 done so far. I'll probably release it a couple of times like everything else when I feel I have a sufficient portion done. When I get back to school I may attempt to finally convert the Greek dramatists (a relatively small corpus, yet one that requires a boat load of time in order to properly align verse references....