PDA

View Full Version : How do I isolate a lemma search?

CBK78
06-29-2006, 04:28 AM
I am trying to create a concordance of words in the Didache and I was wondering of there was an easy and quick way to search for words in the Didache only. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Cliff

Dale A. Brueggemann
06-29-2006, 06:19 AM
I am trying to create a concordance of words in the Didache and I was wondering of there was an easy and quick way to search for words in the Didache only. Is this possible?

Yes, it's easy to limit a search, and to create a concordance on-screen.

On your Tools menu, choose KWIC/Key Word in Context
In the window that pops us, make the following selections
Version APM Apostolic Fathers Morophology
Verse Range Did (for Didache)
Word * (wildcard character for all words)
Choose the number of words to the left and right of each entry, and set the Codes to 0
Click on the heading to the Word column to alphabetize, because they're sorted by frequency by default.
Then you can click on any word in the list to see its concordance entries.Not sure if there's any way to get from that to actually printout out a concordance if that's what you wanted.

In addition, in case you were interested in a lexicon of the Didache, you could follow these steps:

On the command line, enter APM (making Apostolic Fathers Morph the search text).
On the cmd line, enter l Did ([l]imiting the search range to [Did]ache)
On the cmd line, enter a search as follows, but without the quote marks ".*@*), thus searching for all words in Didache
From the Tools menu, chose Word List Manager
Choose Load or Generate word list
APM should already be selected because of what you did on the command line.
Select Lood highlighted words from last query, which means all the words in Didache, as your cmd line search indicated.
The verse range should already show Did, from your earlier entry on thd cmd line.
The Filter should already be set to * from what you did on the cmd line.
Uncheck the option to keep morph codes
Check the option to keep Greek accents and Hebrew vowel points.
Create the list

In the Sort menu, choose the option to sort alphabetically
From Select menu, choose the select all option.
From the File menu, choose the Make lexicon from selected words (to editor).

Select the Greek lexicon(s) you want to supply the definitions.
Or don't select one if all you want is the vocabulary list itself.
Then do it. You'll see your word-list or lexicon in the editor window, where you can do with it whatever you like from printing to exporting to another word processor.