PDA

View Full Version : meaning of Greek words?

WKT
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Im new to BW7...trying to learn everything....like trying to get the break down of words like ........
proseuche {pros-yoo-khay'} which is prayer in english. Can it be done in the program
Thanks Keith

arggem
06-26-2006, 09:56 AM
WKT, WELCOME TO THE BW FORUMS!!!

Well, you certainly have the right program for what you are wanting to do. Original language work is what it shines at.

First off, if you haven't already done so, I highly encourage you to work through the help files and videos. The answers to most questions really are in there somewhere! For a good place to begin go to HELP then GETTING STARTED and in the right-hand column you will find "Getting Started" Videos.

Without knowing how much much Greek you know and what extra modules you might have purchased, and how familiar you are with the program in general, I'll try and get you started at a very basic level. Please forgive me if I seem to be insulting your intelligence. It's certainly not my intention.

Example: Matthew 21:22

Bring up Mat 21:22 and have NAU and BGT as display versions.

The very easiest way to get some very basic information is to make sure "word tips" is enabled (TOOLS/OPTIONS/OPTION FLAGS/BROWSE WINDOW CONFIGURATION OPOTIONS/show word tips). Now all you have to do is put the cursor on any word in the NAU (Some other versions also are tagged to do this too, I think) or on any word in the BGT and you will get a popup window with a brief definition.

The next easiest way to get some basic info on the word "prayer" is to put the cursor on the word prayer and in the Word Analysis window you will get a very basic definition (Strong's data, I think).

If you can identify the word in the BGT, you can put the cursor on it, and more advanced lexical information will appear in the Word Analysis window.

If you can't locate the greek word in the BGT, put your cursor on the word prayer in NAU, then hold down the shift key, while you put the cursor on the greek word that shows up in the Word analysis window (right below the number 4335). Double click that word and it will do a search on that word.

In the far left column you will see a listing of hits for that word. Click on Matt 21:22 and it will now have the greek word highlighted for you in the browse window!

If you need more help, feel free to post again. And I again, please check out the videos and help files. You will find them, um...helpful! :)

BibleWorks is an extremely powerful program, but there is a learning curve if you are just starting out.

Enjoy your study!!