PDA

View Full Version : BibleWorks and Vista



Columcille
06-09-2006, 03:04 PM
With Microsoft having opened to the public the Windows Vista Beta 2, I decided to give it a try. Installed Vista last night and BibleWorks today. The program itself seems to run without any problems, ignoring a few minor redraw issues, but I run into errors when I try to update. Also when I enter my module unlock codes the whole program crashes. My guess is the problem has to do with Vista's new user access controls.

I've sent an email to the support folks letting them know how it went for me but I'm wondering if others have tried BibleWorks under Vista, and what the results were?

Michael Hanel
06-09-2006, 04:25 PM
With Microsoft having opened to the public the Windows Vista Beta 2, I decided to give it a try. Installed Vista last night and BibleWorks today. The program itself seems to run without any problems, ignoring a few minor redraw issues, but I run into errors when I try to update. Also when I enter my module unlock codes the whole program crashes. My guess is the problem has to do with Vista's new user access controls.

I've sent an email to the support folks letting them know how it went for me but I'm wondering if others have tried BibleWorks under Vista, and what the results were?

I don't plan on using Vista on this computer. Next year sometime I may buy a new computer, but that is many moons from now. I doubt the BibleWorks staff is working too hard to fix problems running under Vista because it still is in the Beta process. It's a waste of programmers time to fix BibleWorks and Vista problems only to find out the next week that Microsoft changed part of its code so that the whole fiasco is irrelevant.

I guess what I mean is beware using Vista with BW for now. You'll be the pioneer, but don't count on 100% support....

Columcille
06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
That much was already understood, I'm simply asking what experience others have had under Vista.

Columcille
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
Just a note that I somewhat have things working. Vista allows the user (well, admin) to change permissions on directories. By default a standard user has limited permissions on any files within Program Files. Programs are installed using Admin permissions but are run with the user's permissions. Since the user can't modify the files, updates from within the program fail. The trick is to just change the directory permissions (right click on c:\program files\bibleworks click properties, select security, figure it out from there) and give the user full access to the directory. Presto, updates *mostly* work. Something is still quirky and I'm trying to track down exactly what it is.

Jonathan_B
06-29-2006, 11:01 AM
I had the same problem. Thank's for your solution...

:)

Columcille
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Another tip. I still had a glitch or two with updates so I located the bw700.exe file and under the compatibility properties set it to run in administrator mode. Assuming BibleWorks doesn't send any viruses through the updates, there shouldn't be any problem. :) With this change I have had no problems with BibleWorks. (Well, a very minor graphics quirk when resizing columns, but it doesn't cause any problems and only shows up while in the process of resizing the column)