PDA

View Full Version : Searching for omega-iota subscript

MGVH
06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Maybe someone already knows the answer to this question, but does omega-iota subscript ever occur in the LXX or NT without an accent on it?

I have tried using wildcard characters, but I cannot seem to get any search to even work looking for something like: .*ῳ*

I have tried with accent sensitive searching on and off.
I thought to look in the transliterated Greek NT, but iota-subscripts are not included.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Michael Hanel
06-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe someone already knows the answer to this question, but does omega-iota subscript ever occur in the LXX or NT without an accent on it?

I have tried using wildcard characters, but I cannot seem to get any search to even work looking for something like: .*ῳ*

I have tried with accent sensitive searching on and off.
I thought to look in the transliterated Greek NT, but iota-subscripts are not included.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you mean just an omega-iota-subscript in a word by itself or as part of a word? With accents off, type in .w| , then switch to the graphical search engine and you can add the *'s before and after it if you like and then do your search. There are plenty if you mean this string to be found in a word, but there are none if you mean just an omega-iota-subscipt with no accent on its own.

Was that what you were looking for or something else?

MGVH
06-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks, Michael, but this still is not working for me.
I'm looking for omega-iota subscript anywhere in any word. [results like τῳ αὐτῳ Ηηρῳδης ]

I had actually tried the GSE approach, but I got the same results as I did when using the command line (and, with accents on, using the wildcard button to insert that character before/after my w| ).
Using BGT, what comes back is: "The following word or form cannot be found in the current search version."

The only words I've found so far by scanning all w words are: ̔Ηρῳδιάς ̔Ηρῳδίων

What am I missing? Thanks.

Michael Hanel
06-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks, Michael, but this still is not working for me.
I'm looking for omega-iota subscript anywhere in any word. [results like τῳ αὐτῳ Ηηρῳδης ]

I had actually tried the GSE approach, but I got the same results as I did when using the command line (and, with accents on, using the wildcard button to insert that character before/after my w| ).
Using BGT, what comes back is: "The following word or form cannot be found in the current search version."

The only words I've found so far by scanning all w words are: ̔Ηρῳδιάς ̔Ηρῳδίων

What am I missing? Thanks.

Tell me if this query is what you wanted, cuz I'm still not 100% sure. But running this I had 5000 some results...

MGVH
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Michael. That is what I was looking for.
I see now that I forgot to turn on accents when I was in the GSE.

I'm still not sure why it shouldn't work properly from the command line...
Thanks again.