PDA

View Full Version : Josephus: How to find Antiq. III.x.4 in the JOS

Charlie
06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Do any of you know how to convert a reference to Josephus given in the older chapter division scheme into the Niese numbering scheme used in the JOS version of BibleWorks? For example if I see in a printed work a reference to Josephus printed as Antiq. III.x.4, how do I quickly find this passage in the JOS (using the Niese numbering scheme)?

Thanks.

MGVH
06-07-2006, 11:49 AM
For now, when I find anything in Josephus in BW, I pull out my Loeb edition to find the full reference. This would be nice to have because it is required by some publications. E.g., CBQ guidelines state:

A complete reference to Josephus should conclude with the paragraph number(s) in the Niese system, preceded by : Josephus B.J. 2.8.13 160; neither the Niese number alone (e.g., Josephus B.J. 160) nor the Niese number with partial omission of what should precede (e.g., Josephus B.J. 2.8 160 or 2.8.160) is sufficient.

Mark Cannon
06-07-2006, 12:14 PM
In addition to checking Loeb editions you can go to the Texts and Commentary section of the Project on Ancient Cultural Engagement (PACE) at:

http://pace.mcmaster.ca/York/york/texts.htm

1. click on the Josephus document you want to check (The Judean Antiquities)
2. then in the upper right hand corner set the boxes to Whiston Section and your older chapter division reference (Book 3 - Chapter 10 - Whiston Section - 4)
3. click go
4. The reference will display according to Niese numbering system (244-247)

Dale A. Brueggemann
06-07-2006, 01:20 PM
...you can go to the Texts and Commentary section of the Project on Ancient Cultural Engagement (PACE)

Wow! Thanks for that most useful site. I've been painfully tracking down both ways of citing Josephus for a manuscript I'm writing, using BW for Whisten and printed Loeb for Niese. This will be a great help.

MGVH
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks for pointing us to this excellent site!

Mark Eddy
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
The printed Hendrickson Updated Edition (1987) of Josephus contains both Whiston's numbering system and the Loeb system. The introduction states:
"It not ony gives the original Whiston numbering in each work, but also has included in parentheses throughout the text numbers corresponding to those used in the Greek text--making it an easy matter to locate any passage using either citation method".
So, in case your electricity is off, you can look the numbers up in the book.
Mark Eddy