Any suggestions???

---
From the Study of:
John Calvin Hall
Twin Falls, Idaho

Adelphos
05-19-2006, 02:06 AM
I tried finding all the Aorists in I John,

I ran this in the GSE for SCM -- @v?a* -- and it worked, but when I tried to run it on the command line, BW won't allow it, nor will it allow other forms I tried.

MGVH
05-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I limited search to 1 Joh.
Then in the command line typed:
.*@v?a*

Returned 44 verses, 44 forms, 67 hits in 5.80 seconds

(Remember: to get that ? in there you have to hit the ESC key first in order to type it.)

Adelphos
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Returned 44 verses, 44 forms, 67 hits...

Yep, me too. I got the same results. I had forgotten the * before the @ the first time.

SCSaunders
05-19-2006, 09:03 AM
For next time ....

Add Morphological Assistant to your button bar
Place your cursor in the search command line and use the assistant
Export the search code and Close the assistant
Tweak any portion of the seach code in the command line, like "-" to "?" for mood, by placing your cursor back into the command line and ...
Move the cursor to the right of the mood (or whatever)
Change it via a context sensitive pop-up window that will give you all the possiblities - select and add "?"
Delete the old code "-"
Run the search

It will give you what MGVH displayed above.
At no time will Hail Mary's or inappropriate language need to be invoked.

jfidel
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
When I type this line by line from the command line, when the morphology assistant pops up it does not allow for a ? after selection of a verb. I know you can put one in manually, but the assistant calls for a * if you are not able to specify the mood and does not allow a ?, which makes this search work.

Perhaps this is why there is the confusion.

John Fidel

Adelphos
05-19-2006, 09:28 AM
When I type this line by line from the command line, when the morphology assistant pops up it does not allow for a ? after selection of a verb.

You have to hit the "esc" key; then you can type in the ?.

SCSaunders
05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
When I type this line by line from the command line, when the morphology assistant pops up it does not allow for a ? after selection of a verb. I know you can put one in manually, but the assistant calls for a * if you are not able to specify the mood and does not allow a ?, which makes this search work.

Perhaps this is why there is the confusion.

John FidelI had noticed that too. This is why I would suggest going back into the command line for the tweeks. The context-sensitive pop-up menu has a greater variety. I personally don't want to throw out the assistant with the bath water. It gets me 90% of the way there and without any memorization (that's what the hard drive is for). JMHO.

Adelphos
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Just as a matter of reference, if you right-click on the command line, you can check "command line morphology help" and this acts pretty much like the morph assit on the button bar, only is much faster to work with.

All you have to remember is to hit the esc key to insert special chars, like the ?.

jfidel
05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Actually you can enter a ? from the assitant except after a verb. You only need to use the esc key because of a message that verb tenses differ based upon the mood entered.

John Fidel

SCSaunders
05-19-2006, 10:42 AM
You have to hit the "esc" key; then you can type in the ?.

Actually you can enter a ? from the assitant except after a verb. You only need to use the esc key because of a message that verb tenses differ based upon the mood entered.?.

Thanks gents! I've applied this. Was a very helpful.