PDA

View Full Version : To buy or no to buy

twbelieves
05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I am a current user of PC Bible Study and am thinking about changing to Bibleworks. I need some help as to why I should make the change. Is Bibleworks easy to learn? How good are the classes they have?

arggem
05-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the BibleWorks forum!

Good questions! Why should you change? I think to give an honest, [realatively :)] unbiased answer to that, it would be helpful to know what you want to do that your current program won't do.

BibleWorks 7 is one of the most powerful tools around for studying the text itself. It is not a library program. It excels in original language tools. It simple is one of the best, if not THE best PC platform Bible study programs on the market today.

It's power, however, means that there is a learning curve. There are good help files, a great forum, and an incredible BW staff to back the product, but it does take a bit of work to get up to speed.

So, it depends on your needs. Why are you thinking about changing?

Noel Fitzpatrick
05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi twbelieves

I am a current user of PC Bible Study and am thinking about changing to Bibleworks. I need some help as to why I should make the change. Is Bibleworks easy to learn? How good are the classes they have?
Bibleworks is easy to learn at one level. Bur as it is so comprehensive, to get the full benefit takes time.

I started with Bible Windows then I went to Logos (Libronix DLS) and now I am using BW7.

Would I advise others to get BW7? It depends on how interested one is among other factors.

I have a friend who is a keen golfer and buys new clubs regularly, as he thinks that will improve his golf. BW7 is not a magic tool for exegesis and it is not a replacement for reading, studying, meditating and prayer.

I find recently that I spend time learning what BW can do, rather than reading the Bible. Time is limited for us all and reading about the word of God and about how it can be studied is not as useful as reading the Word of God.

I am reminded of the theologian who when offered a chance to go to heaven or a lecture about heaven, chose the lecture.

It is better to know God, than about him!

Noelfitz.

MrShep
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Hello fellow. I too have used PC Biblesoft so I have formed my own (biased) opinion of the two tools. For what it's worth here you go:

BibleWorks

PRO's:

1). Very powerful search capabilities -- search morphological databases i.e. nouns, verbs, etc..., also search your own note files.

2). Build unique (personalized) bible versions and import them into Bibleworks -- i.e. for missionary work or your own translation.

3). Contains the Trinitarian Bible Society (TBS) greek text for the KJV (Scriveners textus receptus). And others if you like.

CON's:

1). Steep learning curve

PC BibleSoft

PRO's:

1). Easy Graphical User Interface - easy to learn and use. Easy enough for children. i.e. -- large icons are self explanatory.

2). Large library of books, maps, and commentaries all searchable and easy to use.

CON's:

1). Limited search capabilites -- search english by word, strongs number, or phrase -- but can't search the original language.

2). No ability to import customized translation (must purchase new translation).

3). The KJV greek text is Nestle-Aland (a con in my opinion).

These are some glaring differences, obviously there are others. I've only listed those that are important to me.

Joan Korte
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Just a couple of thoughts. I'm quoting from a staff member of one of the most popular Bible software programs: "You would be surprised at how many people have both BibleWorks and ..." (Many have more than one program.)

I would not want to have BibleWorks unless I had worked with both the Hebrew and Greek alphabets, minimum. Plus, I would not want to have BibleWorks without BDAG & HALOT, so I figure that bundle into my price.

God Bless.

Jonhenry
05-19-2006, 04:29 PM
As one who has quite a bit of Bible Software ($1,000+), I must say the BW7 is the most important tool on my hard-drive for the purposes of exegesis.

Bibleworks is necessary equipment in seminary, or in other serious study.

If you are interested in some less-intensive program (i.e., one that is only searchable by Strongs #'s, etc.), or one that has more verbose add-ons, why not try the FREE E-sword program? That's cheaper than BibleSoft.
It is located at http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html. Right on that site you can also download Keil & Delitzsch, Robertson's Word Pictures, Vincent's Word Studies (for what its worth), Easton's Dictionary, the pre-revised ISBE encyclopedia, a bunch of versions, maps, etc.

If you go to the following URL, you will find numerous addons for E-sword:
http://www.forananswer.org/Top_General/E-Sword_Modules.htm
Among other things, they have the NA26 (and other Greek texts), Apost. Fathers, Didache, Vulgate+Latin Dictionary, several Targums, Peshitta, Sahidic Coptic NT, Book of Enoch, and the Leningrad Codex (w/ vowels!).

See also this page and the links coming off of it: http://immanuelforum.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=ae42cb88c3eee9ecda3ca53a9c0be6f8 (http://immanuelforum.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=ae42cb88c3eee9ecda3ca53a9c0be6f8)

For serious study, BW7 first. For lighter study, I recommend e-sword.
I hope this helps!

Columcille
05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I use both PCSB and BibleWorks. They are very different tools and I don't think one should think in terms of replacing one with the other. BibleWorks' strength is with comparative research and working with the original text. PCSB is stronger with more general Scripture study, particularly if you want access to several reference sources to get information on background and historical understanding. PCSB can't do what BibleWorks can do, and vice versa.