PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried creating a Custom Module yet>

Ben Spackman
05-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I started playing around with it today, and it had one minor problem. When it tagged my scripture references, it caught them all, but did none of the verses on any of my attempts. It was stymied by a colon. Thus, all the references to something like Acts 15:3 were tagged as Acts 15 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1147389092-7418.html#3):3. (Link is only for showing how it links. BW doesn't actually link it to the Blue Letter Bible.)

Anyone else have experience with the Module Creator yet?

Adelphos
05-11-2006, 08:07 PM
When it tagged my scripture references, it caught them all, but did none of the verses on any of my attempts.

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement.

Albeit, I have had problems getting the verses work with the CUSTOM selection, but I have not tried mapping anything yet.

Ben Spackman
05-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I meant, every single reference was tagged. It hadn't missed any. So every single reference was tagged to pop up the scripture, and every single reference was tagged incompletely. What do you mean by "mapping" ?

Adelphos
05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
What do you mean by "mapping" ?

Every time I create a custom module, it displays only that module. For example, when I created a hybrid 1Co/1Cl -- I called it CCG -- even when I was in 1 Corinthians 1:1, I couldn't get the KJV or any other version to display, and when I was in 1 Clement 1:1, I couldn't get APE to display.

So I figured that I would have to do verse mapping to make them display. Maybe that won't work either, though. I don't know since I haven't tried it.

The whole appears to be the fact that it's a CUSTOM module instead of NT, OT, or both.

Robert Taylor
05-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I've created a few modules with a fair amount of success. A lot of times I don't see the tagging come out completely clean, but I've never had it come out 100% wrong.

Most of the time I've had to dig down into the HTML source to really clean things up, So I've written a small applet that lets me untag what I don't want tagged and retag it the way I want, as well as put in the Javascript tagging that's necessary to get it to work right.

I've got it to the point where it will also put the books file and bwjs.js file in the directory of interest, and then create all the necessary files for the Help Compiler. You still need to use Bibleworks to create the indexes.

It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but if your interested in taking a look, let me know and I'll get you a copy.

- Robert Taylor

Adelphos
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but if your interested in taking a look, let me know and I'll get you a copy.

Thanks, Robert. That sounds like a useful tool. Why don't you upload it here so well can all give it a test drive.

Mark Eddy
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Every time I create a custom module, it displays only that module. For example, when I created a hybrid 1Co/1Cl -- I called it CCG -- even when I was in 1 Corinthians 1:1, I couldn't get the KJV or any other version to display, and when I was in 1 Clement 1:1, I couldn't get APE to display.
So I figured that I would have to do verse mapping to make them display. Maybe that won't work either, though. I don't know since I haven't tried it.
The whole appears to be the fact that it's a CUSTOM module instead of NT, OT, or both.
I have tried to write verse maps for non-biblical versions, and they do NOT work for "custom" modules.
E.g. it is currently not possible to map verses for Josephus, Philo, the Apostolic Fathers, or Qumran. I have been able to write verse map files for non-biblical versions, if I claim that they are OT or NT.
E.g. I have worked out a verse mapping for 1 Enoch in two different user databases, but I had to compile both of them as "OT only" not as "custom". If I remember correctly, there is a problem even in this, because BW tries to map these versions to LXT if you have a Greek database enabled in the same window. (I had BGT checked as a display version, so that I could view the Psalms of Solomon with the English Pseudepigrapha of the OT. But this goofed up the mapping of a different Greek database that I tried to map to POT.)
So I have found that the best way to view different versions of "custom" user databases together is to make up a synopsis file. I hope to get back to working out a Qumran synopsis file with the Pseudepigrapha of the OT is the second column.
So, since you're trying to display your custom version (1Co/1Cl) to one biblical version (KJV) and one non-biblical version (APE), you're doomed to failure, at least at present. You can't get a "custom" version and a biblical version to display in the same browse window in BW at the same time.
I hope this isn't too discouraging to you.
Mark Eddy

Ben Spackman
05-12-2006, 11:23 AM
This is too bad about the mapping. I was able to map non-Biblical versions to Biblical versions (for quotations and such) in BW 6 without any problems. I assume there was some kidn of programming change that adversely affected BW 7 in this respect.

Mark Eddy
05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
This is too bad about the mapping. I was able to map non-Biblical versions to Biblical versions (for quotations and such) in BW 6 without any problems. I assume there was some kidn of programming change that adversely affected BW 7 in this respect.
Perhaps we're talking about two different kinds of "mapping." I'm talking about creating verse map files (.vmf), so that two different databases display in the same browse window simultaneously. This could not be done in BW6 either (I tried doing this in BW6 and BW7). At least it didn't work in the databases I tried. The only way to get them to map together was to compile the non-biblical version as "OT only" or "NT only" or "OT and NT" but not as "custom."
If you make synopsis files (.sdf), then you can get these versions to display together in different columns.
What versions did you "map" together in BW6, and what kind of file did you use to map them?
Mark Eddy

Ben Spackman
05-12-2006, 12:00 PM
There's an extensive quotation from Isaiah in the Book of Mormon (with some differences), which I mapped to the WTT using the verse mapping tool. The BoM was compiled as "Custom."

I was able to run the WTT, BoM, KJV, NRSV and NIV together in the regular results window, one verse at a time.

When I installed BW 7, it no longer worked.