PDA

View Full Version : Linear Morphology, RIP?

jkragenb
05-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Is the linear morphology tool completely absent in BW7? I recall reading somewhere that it survived into BW6 only as a concession to BW oldtimers, so I assume I lost that feature when I upgraded to BW7?

Mark Eddy
05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Is the linear morphology tool completely absent in BW7? I recall reading somewhere that it survived into BW6 only as a concession to BW oldtimers, so I assume I lost that feature when I upgraded to BW7?
If "linear morphology tool" is the opposite of "interlinear" morphology display, then it's still in 7.0. Go to "View" then choose "Show/Hide" then "Interlinear mode" should be unchecked, and your morphology versions will not be interlinear, i.e. they will display the morphological material on the same line as the lemma. Is that what you want?
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

jkragenb
05-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Thank you for that suggestion. What I'm searching for, though, is a pop-up window feature. The Linear Morphology supplied the same data that is generated as "Morphological Analysis" by the report generator, only it did it in a pop-up window, and if I recall could be configured to include the definitions, as well. It's not a huge thing if it's gone (all the data can be accessed other places, including the Word Analysis window), it was just a handy tool to have as a pop-up window for certain tasks.

Michael Hanel
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm still kind of grasping at straws so forgive me if this doesn't connect. But it almost sounded like what you were talking about were the Word Tips which come on when you hover over a word (greek or Hebrew) in the Browse window.

If you click on Browse Window Options (in the browse window it's the button next to the button with little shoes that you would click on to toggle browse mode). If you click on the Browse Window Options you can Toggle Word Tips. Anyway, you may have already had your question answered, but this is what your question reminded me of....

MBushell
05-05-2006, 06:46 PM
The linear morphology was the first attempt we ever did at real-time morphology information. I believe it even predated the old auto-info window. It was hard wired so that it only worked for the Friberg morphology (which at the time was all we had). It was superceded by the auro-info window and rather than spend the time to increase its functionality to other versions we dropped it in 7. If someone can make a strong case for it we'll consider putting it back (we almost never delete code). But our feeling was that it was so limited compared to the Analysis Window that it either had to be developed or dropped. We chose the latter in an attempt (along with many other things) to simplify the interface. We couldn't keep adding things without removing some, or the interface gets so complex that no one can fully understand it.

Mike