PDA

View Full Version : BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels

jkragenb
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Greetings. Anyone other than me interested in running BW7 on an Intel Mac via Parallels workstation? I've got it installed, updated, and running effectively with all unlocked modules ... I have yet to find a major problem. The only issue I've found so far is that the integration of the clipboards doesn't seem to be happening for BW7.

Anyone else trying BW7 on their Intel Mac? Curious about other issues folk have found....

jkragenb
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
The clipboard problem is not localized to BW7 ... it appears to be a broader issue within Parallels.

pdwinva
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Hmmm, judging from the lack of replies, I take it that you're the only brave soul who's trying BW using Parallels!

In any case, as a fellow Mac user, I'm definitely interested in what you find, since, given the uncertain future (and drawbacks) of Virtual PC, it's encouraging to think that BW has a future on Macs after all. And a future that doesn't require a full emulator, to boot. I'm probably a few years away from an Intel Mac, but it's always good to look ahead.

Anything further to report from your usage?

Ben Spackman
05-11-2006, 03:44 PM
My wife probably has to get a Mac laptop for school, and it will be an Intel Dual-Core if I have anythign to say about it. I'm interested in the conversation, but I don't have any hardware to play with at the moment.

jkragenb
05-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Yes, I am feeling a bit lonely! But the good news it that BW7 runs flawlessly on Parallels using WinXP Pro as the guest OS. Within the guest OS, I have encountered absolutely no issues - BW7 operates exactly like it does on a native WinXP machine. Program installation, module installation, customization, searching, updating, copying/pasting, etc. all work exactly as they do on my Dell; speeds are close, too.

In fact, the only issue I've found is a cross-OS issue (see earlier post regarding clipboard). And it's worth repeating that this is a Parallels issue, not BW issue. Hopefully one day the clipboard will be more seemless - and the link between the two OSs will be improved so that BW Copy Center is able to recognize applications on the OS X side. (Given the quality and development speed of the Parallels beta, I suspect this will be sooner rather than later.)

So if you're like me and resisted a Mac because you refused to give up BW, now you can have your cake and eat it too, if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of expense.

Mike Lane
05-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Hello,

I just got my new Mac yesterday and am having a blast installing and learning about the differences in Windos and Macs. I am going to be setting up Parallels and BW today so I am wondering how much memory you have in your system?

Grace and Peace
Mike Lane

jkragenb
05-16-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey, Mike. I've got 1GB in total memory, only 256MB of which is dedicated to the guest OS (WinXP Pro SP2 in my case). (The system itself is a 15" 2.0ghz MacBook Pro.) I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you - should be flawless! All the best....

Mike Lane
05-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Hello,

Yes I have it set up with Parallels but have not instaled BW yet. My Mac has only 512 of memory. That will change in the morning as soon as Fedex arrives with my new memory then I'll install BW and then...

Grace and Peace
Mike Lane

Mike Lane
05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Hello,

Parallels and Windows installs just fine. BW installs just fine. The problems arise with trying to run BW. I can open it and do what ever. However the ini file is not being saved and after I close BW then try to reopen it crashes.

I thought maybe updating to the newest exe would help but then it crashed so hard on trying to reopen after the patch that it won't even open at all now. So at this point I guess I will have to uninstall and then reinstall and see if I can figure it out. If you can be of help let me know thanks!!

jkragenb
05-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey, Mike. Sorry to hear you're having problems with BW. I did not have the problem you're describing, so unfortunately I don't have any sage wisdom to offer, other than to agree that uninstalling and reinstalling BW7 is the right path to go down. Given the rest of your installation went well, that may well solve the problem....

Mike Lane
05-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello,

BW 7 is up and running like the stuff its made of!! Running on a MacBook Pro in Parallels with 2Gb of memory and more Hd space than I'll use in a life time!! How fun is this!!

Ben Spackman
05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Do you think your crashing was a memory-limitation or just needed to be reinstalled? My wife's Mac won't have more than 1 Gig of RAM...

Mike Lane
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Ben,

Not sure what happened. I reinstalled Parallels and made a new VM, then installed XP Pro SP1 then upgraded via the web to SP2 and it all worked ok. My VM has only 256 Mb memory allocated to it and do not seem to have any problems. If I have any problems I will let you know. If you have any more questions let me know.

Adelphos
05-18-2006, 10:43 PM
If you have any more questions let me know.

What's the learning curve from PC to Mac, and why is Mac better than PC?

Mike Lane
05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Adelphos,

I think that the Mac is more stable and has a far better OS. Take a look at this http://www.apple.com/getamac/ and watch the adds. They are very good ads well done and make a strong point. There are other reviews etc... on the web just take a look around. I know there are some people that hate Apple stuff and there are people who hate Windows stuff. But only a Mac can you run Windows and Mac stuff. All though the Windows running is a virtual machine but it works just fine. I had some problems early on with the Windows stuff but I think it had to do with the way I was configuring the virtual machine and not the software.

As far as a learning curve is concerned I bought my Mac on Tuesday of this week and finished instaling and porting all my software on Thursday night as well as writing a sermon for the week and being a pastor. Yes I have had some late nights etc... but the learning curve for me has been easy and am sure I have more to learn as I go.

In the last two days I have also been playing with Sandvox from Karelia Software. This is a web page design software. I have been playing around with a web site design for several months with FrontPage and never liked it too much. However, Sandvox seems to be doing things much better and I think that it will work well for me.

Adelphos there are a lot of people with various ideas and some can get quite passionate about there feelings when it comes to their computers. Sometimes I think its too much and wish that their passion would focus on a relationship with Jesus! Decide for yourself what you think will work best for you and run with it! Also, find some Mac users in your area and talk to them and get their side of the story.

Hopes this helps. Blessings!

Adelphos
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Hopes this helps. Blessings!

Thanks, Mike. I'm intrigued, so I'll find a Mac user around here and make him let me play with his apple for a little while.

jkragenb
05-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello,

BW 7 is up and running like the stuff its made of!! Running on a MacBook Pro in Parallels with 2Gb of memory and more Hd space than I'll use in a life time!! How fun is this!!

I'm glad the re-install worked for you, Mike. I totally agree - BW on a Mac is awesome!

jkragenb
05-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Do you think your crashing was a memory-limitation or just needed to be reinstalled? My wife's Mac won't have more than 1 Gig of RAM...

I'll echo Mike on this - BW7 has always run fine on my Intel Mac with 1GB of RAM ... and I only have 256MB dedicated to the guest VM (WinXP SP2).

Mike Lane
05-24-2006, 07:54 AM
The only issue I've found so far is that the integration of the clipboards doesn't seem to be happening for BW7.
How are you dealing with this issue?

jkragenb
05-24-2006, 04:57 PM
How are you dealing with this issue?

It turns out the clipboard issue is localized, and is a function of Parallels, NOT a function of BW7.

Localized - within the WinXP guest OS, all clipboard functions w.r.t. BW7 are working fine. I can copy in BW7 and post to any other application I use with no problems (including Office 2003 for Windows) ... even the formatting stays the same.

Function of Parallels - the clipboard issues are related to Parallels, and occur when doing cross-OS pasting (i.e. copying in guest WinXP and pasting in host OS X). These problems are discussed at the Parallels forum (forum.parallels.com), if you're interested. My personal clipboard complaints are two-fold:
(1) Though text will paste, formatting is lost when pasting from the WinXP guest OS to native Mac OS X applications.
(2) There is a particular problem when pasting to Word 2004 - specifically, nothing happens in response to the Paste command!

How am I dealing with this? Well, a couple of ways.
(1) Doing paste-intensive tasks on the WinXP guest. (I still own Office 2003 ... I'm a recent Mac convert.) You can either do all your word processing on the WinXP side, or you can save the clippings to a document and reopen, copy and paste on the OS X side.
(2) Doing paste-intensive tasks on my old Dell laptop!
(3) Doing rudimentary copying-and-pasting from Accordance (GASP!) when working exclusively on the OS X side. (Accordance's copy features are not nearly as robust as those in BW, but are fine if I just need to paste in a few verses from a single translation.)
(EXCURSUS: Okay, I just admitted it, I bought Accordance when I bought my MacBook Pro. And I'll admit this, too: the folks at OakTree have done a nice job - it's a solid application. I'll probably even plunk down another $19 for the upgrade to Accordance 7. But for the record, I'm running Parallels first and foremost so I can keep using BW7 as my primary exegesis tool! No program beats BW's exegetical features, and nothing comes even close in price when comparably equipped. Now, if we can just figure out how to link BW7 to the Accordance resource library!)

Admittely, none of these solutions are ideal. But it's still early in the Parallels life cycle (still only in Release Candidate 1), and I have confidence (hope?) they will get the clipboard features corrected over the next month or so. (It's hard for me to believe they would release a final version with major flaws in clipboard functionality, among the other bugs that still exist in the program.)

Thoughts?

Mike Lane
05-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Wow!! What a pain to get stuff from the Windows side to the Mac side. I finally figured out how to do it with Parallels filesharing folders. It amazes me that we can take stuff from the Mac side to the windows side just like you would any thing else but not from Windows to the Mac side.

If I had to gues I would say its a Windows issue but that is pure specualtion on my part! I gues I could load an old version of Word on the Windows side copy over what I need then go the Mac side and open the file and copy it again but that's pretty inconvient and doubles the work load!

If BW wasn't such a good product I would do something else!! I am thankful however that I can run BW on my Mac and still benefit from it!

jdarlack
05-25-2006, 09:13 AM
I'd love to see a screenshot of someone using BW on a Mac using Parallels... Seeing is believing. :p

Mike Lane
05-25-2006, 09:25 AM
The one thing that you cannot see at the top is winxp - Parallesls Desktop!! Words - Words - Words All in the Words!!! :p
file:///Users/mikelane/Desktop/2006.05.25-08.18.36.pnghttp://www.bibleworks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=194&stc=1&d=1148563394

jkragenb
05-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Wow!! What a pain to get stuff from the Windows side to the Mac side. I finally figured out how to do it with Parallels filesharing folders. It amazes me that we can take stuff from the Mac side to the windows side just like you would any thing else but not from Windows to the Mac side.

Yes, Mike, it is painful. But, I'm hoping the good folks @ Parallels get it worked out ASAP. Clipboard functionality is, after all, a top-drawer issue!

I, too, was initially stymied by the inability to go Win-->Mac with files, but after pondering it for a bit I realized that I want to store my data on the Mac side anyway (I did, after all, buy a Mac for a reason!). So, I create files in Parallels-WinXP and save them directly to my Mac "Documents" directory; that actually seems like a very natural (and optimal) way to work.

As for Parallels Shared Folders, I hope they're working better for you than they are for me. I've had so many problems with PSF (everything from slow operation to total inability to access the Mac files) that I've set up network sharing so that I just map my Mac drive as a network drive in Parallels-WinXP. Though you have to log on to the "network" after each Parallels-WinXP boot, it offers fast, seemless filesharing (contra PSF).

jkragenb
05-26-2006, 02:41 AM
I'd love to see a screenshot of someone using BW on a Mac using Parallels... Seeing is believing. :p

O ye of little faith! :)

Mike Lane
05-26-2006, 05:28 AM
My PSF is a shared file folder and works fine. I just don't like doing things twice. O well maybe things will work better in the future!!

andrew short
06-30-2006, 05:08 AM
I have a Mac Intel laptop, I have about 1000MB of ram I have paralells. Bibleworks works great (no problems except spending time exploring) and I can copy and paste into a mac file.

jkragenb
07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I have a Mac Intel laptop, I have about 1000MB of ram I have paralells. Bibleworks works great (no problems except spending time exploring) and I can copy and paste into a mac file.

Glad to hear it's working so well for you. One question on copying - is formatting retained when you paste into OS X, or the text pasted sans formatting?

Thanks for sharing your experience - hopefully others will join us in running BW on the Mac!

Curious Batuwaa
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
The idea is get a new computer before v1 Vista hits the streets. (Ie, buy a new machine with a fully up to date XP OS--wait a few years for Vista to stablize or 3 years when MS stops supporting XP, or...)
Mac w/Intel chip has become minimally a hardware option but I have two important (to me) applications that have no Mac counterparts--bw & Info Select. (Tech support word has it that Logos is working on a Mac version for January.)
Windows apps on new Mac options are:
dual-boot BootCamp
virtualized Parallels
code-tweaked Code Weavers' CrossOver (nee' Wine?)

I would really love to ask about all three options, comparing hardware specs etc. but this thread's (sutra's) sense is Parallels, so...
The latest prior entry here was made in July--any new thoughts?

The sutra prompted a thought--I noticed that the guest OS seems routinely to get only a quarter of the available memory.
Any particular reason for the 256mb? Or is this simply a default?
Since on its own, XP likes to run (not walk) with at least 512, I am curious whether more memory for the guest would be better.
(I currently run XP with 2gb on a 2.5gHz P4.)

lhuizenga
12-11-2007, 08:49 AM
It seems most folks think BW7 can work on a mac with Parallels. I'm considering switching to a mac, and forgive my naivete. Does one also need to install windows XP itself on the mac plus the emulator (ie Parallels), or only parallels? Thanks! Feel free to reply here or email lahuizenga@gmail.com (maximusconfessor@gmail.com).

jfidel
12-11-2007, 11:19 AM
You will need to install Parallels and then Windows XP. Parallels simplifies the installation process for Windows. You may want to review the website for Parallels so you are aware of what will be required.

John Fidel

lhuizenga
12-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks -- I was worried I just had an upgrade disk but I have the full XP prof. disc, so it seems like I can do this without switching to accordance.

jhkchan
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I have been running BibleWorks on Mac with Parallels, but it is a pain. Although I am able to make it work, but it is certainly taxing both on my nerves and the machine. The Mac runs so much hotter when the parallel is on (the fan is on all the time), so I try not to use it often.

Recently I found out that Libronix (Logos) is trying to move to the Mac as a native program. Now they have their Alpha 3 for Mac available from their website. It is not perfect yet, but I am so happy that I can open the old logos books now on my Mac natively. Can Bibleworks work towards this segment of the Mac market? I have been a PC user for many years, and now I have switched over to Mac. I have been using BibleWorks for I don't remember how many years (since BibleWorks 2). I certainly hope I can stay with BibleWorks in the years to come.

John

jjmfe
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I bought a WinXP machine in 2003 specifically to run BibleWorks6 and Logos/Libronix libraries. I left apple platform well satisfied with Apple, but needing this software, which ran abysmally slow on a G-3 powerbook maxed out on ram, and using Virtual PC. I eventually gave up using this entirely

I need a new laptop. I'd prefer to move back into the Apple world. Is there anybody out there on this forum that runs both types of software through Bootcamp or Parallels, and is satisfied with the speed?

And which of the two do you recommend, or is there another VMware that you'd recommend?

John
can take further reply off forum if needed jjmfe@hotmail.com

jhkchan
04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I have been using BibleWorks for my exegetical works on PC. Last year I switched to a Macbook Intel 2GHz. I use parallels to run BibleWorks. With Parallels and a few of other programs running, the original 1G memory is too tight. I have since increased it to 2G. Now it runs reasonably well, although I still notice the machine runs hot when parallels is running. I have not used BootCamp, because I need the copy and paste functions.

As my previous posting said, I am happy that Libronix is coming to senses in moving towards supporting Mac. I hope BibleWorks can do the same in moving to the Mac platform (especially in view of the big surge of Mac sales the past year).

John

Ben Spackman
04-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Yep. I'm now a committed Mac user, buying a version of XP just to run BW on. (I'm currently using my Dell disc of XP on Parallels, which means I have to reinstall it every 30 days...)

I'd love a Mac version, but I understand that's probably just not in the cards.

Edit: I'm running it on a Macbook C2D, 1.83 Ghz, 2 Gig RAM. It does run a little hot if I leave parallels running all the time, but I find that network traffic does that too. (That is, if I leave parallels open and don't have a wireless connection, it seems to heat up, like Parallels keeps searching for a connection.)

That said, no problems. Runs great, looks better than on my Dell.

Richard Syed
05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I recently moved to Mac, and have run BW7 successfully under Parallels. But one thing that doesn't happen: on the PC I could right-click on a Hebrew or Greek word in the Results window and be offered 'Send verse to default lexicon' I don't get a drop-down menu now, and have to find the word in a lexicon over on the right, which takes two extra actions. Is this a result of Parallels, or is there there some simpler explanation?
Richard Syed

Ruben Gomez
05-06-2008, 11:24 AM
on the PC I could right-click on a Hebrew or Greek word in the Results window and be offered 'Send verse to default lexicon' I don't get a drop-down menu now, and have to find the word in a lexicon over on the right, which takes two extra actions. Is this a result of Parallels, or is there there some simpler explanation?
Richard Syed

I'm sure Parallels has nothing to do with it. Running BW version 7.0.019g.3 I get a full drop-down menu and the option 'Send Verse to Lexicon Browser' is right there...

Hope this helps.

Rubén Gómez

Richard Syed
05-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I had 7.0.019g.3, and have just reinstalled it again to make sure, but I still don't get the drop-down menu from a selected Gk or Hb word (and another thing that I miss badly is 'search on lemma'). I wonder if anyone else at all has had this problem? I wonder if I should reinstall BW7?
Richard Syed

Richard Syed
05-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Problem solved! I was very new to mac - perhaps this may be of interest to others who start using mac without reading the manual first! Apparently the mouse comes with both its left and right buttons programmed as left buttons, and you have to set the right button as really a right one. System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse > then in the drop down menu against the right button replace 'Primary Button' with 'Secondary Button'. Everything now works fine in BW - including Search on Lemma, and Send Verse to Lexicon Browser, and the rest. Seems obvious now, but it didn't at the time.

brian
09-06-2008, 03:43 AM
you may want to try vmware fusion instead of parallels, I think you will be pleased

ubuntu_user
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I just upgraded to Parallels 4.0 from Parallels 3.0.x.
So far BW7 lauches slower and has some sporadic boot problems.
The jury is still out on 4.0. I will continue to test to see how BW7 works on 4.0.

jhkchan
11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I decided not to spend another $40 to upgrade to version 4 of Parallels (eventhough that is a half price as of now). After hearing your experience, I am glad that I did not upgrade.

I am trying VirtualBox. It is free online from Sun. So far BibleWorks runs fine in Windows under VirtualBox on my Macbook (2.0 GHz, 2G memory). The Mac runs cooler compared to running under Parallels version 3.

John

edfranks
12-26-2009, 06:52 PM
This will probably cause more confusion, but here is a warning to the adventurous out there. I've partitioned by mac's hard drive using bootcamp 3.0 and OS 10.6 and installed BW7 and it "works," BUT no sound, no function keys work, and only way to get right click is to use SHIFT-F10?!.:( Apparently some driver update is required if using 0S 10.6 but it doesn't exist and there are no plans to make it. Ironically, this driver fix does exist for older version of mac OS(10.5). So, after hours of installing, I'm not inclined to redo everything just to get sound, which is rarely used with BW7 anyway, but it sounds like vmfusion emulation is a better way to go.:confused:

jolynn
05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I've loaded parallels on my macbook pro, but when I load BW7, I can only open it once or twice. After that, it just sits there and then shuts down Parallels. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled BW7 and still the same problem. Can someone please help?!?!

brethicks
05-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I do not know how much help I will be, but lets start with the basics:

What version of Parallels?
What version of Windows?
Have you added all known updates to BW7?

(I run BW8 under Parallels 5 with WinXP, and have never had any problems. And I ran BW7 under Parallels 3 & 4 with WinXPf and no problems...)

Does it give any error message before it shuts down Parallels? Does BW shut down first?

In Christ,

Bret

jolynn
05-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I do not know how much help I will be, but lets start with the basics:

What version of Parallels?
What version of Windows?
Have you added all known updates to BW7?

(I run BW8 under Parallels 5 with WinXP, and have never had any problems. And I ran BW7 under Parallels 3 & 4 with WinXPf and no problems...)

Does it give any error message before it shuts down Parallels? Does BW shut down first?

In Christ,

Bret

I have Parallels 5, Windows Vista, and how do you get the BWs updates?
There is no error message, per se. All the sudden Vista stops and restarts and then the black screen that says, "Windows was not shut down properly... which mode do you want to start in?" comes up.
I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Jolynn

KennyBeeDBQ
08-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Will someone coach us through initial setup of BibleWorks 8 on a Mac?
We have an iBook with OS 10.5.8
Processor is a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory is 2 GB 667 MHz
We got Parallels 5.0
On the DVD for BW 8 all I find are small icons for what I think are data files.
Where do we start?

brethicks
08-28-2010, 12:10 PM
You need to do the following steps:

Install Parallels 5.0
Install Windows (I recommend XP - but definitely not Vista)
Make sure the DVD is accessible from within Parallels - I believe this is the default
Insert the BibleWorks install DVD
From the start menu in Windows, select Run -> and choose the file from the DVD (I do not have it here but it is probably install.exe or some batch file....)
Keep feeding DVD's when asked....

That is it. It is really just like installing on a windows machine once you have Parallels and windows installed on the Mac.

Kristofer
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Problem solved! I was very new to mac - perhaps this may be of interest to others who start using mac without reading the manual first! Apparently the mouse comes with both its left and right buttons programmed as left buttons, and you have to set the right button as really a right one. System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Mouse > then in the drop down menu against the right button replace 'Primary Button' with 'Secondary Button'. Everything now works fine in BW - including Search on Lemma, and Send Verse to Lexicon Browser, and the rest. Seems obvious now, but it didn't at the time.

This is an old quote, but very helpful to me. Thanks!