PDA

View Full Version : Different result in ASE

Karen Spray
04-28-2006, 03:38 AM
I am new to using the ASE and can't quite work this one out.

If I use the verse-list manager to generate a list of all the dikai* words in the OT BGM, I get 666 verses. (A number that stuck in my memory<g>.)

When I put that into the ASE, by having a word box that looked for dikai* which pointed at a merge box AND WTM (ie, should reach the same result because the deuterocanonicals are not in the WTM), yesterday I got 667. Then later, I got 665. This morning, writing this post, I got 666! Not a big difference, obviously, but as I'm trying to learn my way around, I want to know what I did. Off the top of my head now, I'm thinking it must be something to do with the search limits I had set - when I save an ASE query and then call it up again, does it use the search limits I had set when I saved it, or the ones that happen to be there when I recall it? That's something I can go and check myself, but any other hints would be useful.

Still thinking... I suppose if it uses the search limits that just happen to be there, it depends what happens to the non-Hebrew parts of Daniel etc, which won't be in the WTM but will be in the BGM limited by the OT search limit, as that just works at book level??

Steve Watkins
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I suppose if it uses the search limits that just happen to be there, it depends what happens to the non-Hebrew parts of Daniel etc, which won't be in the WTM but will be in the BGM limited by the OT search limit, as that just works at book level??

Haven't checked it out, but this seems to be the likely explanation.

Philip Brown
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
A BGM dikai* search includes Dan 3:86
An ASE WTM - BGM dikai* search does not.

I used the verse list manager.
Imported verse list from BGM search
Imported verse list from WTM-BGM searach
Chose Selection | Select Verses common to both lists (easier to spot this way)

Steve Watkins
04-28-2006, 11:10 PM
A BGM dikai* search includes Dan 3:86
An ASE WTM - BGM dikai* search does not.

Nice! There ya go, that explains it.