PDA

View Full Version : More complex search help request

dbielby
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm preaching on Revelation 4 this week. As I've been studying the passage, it's clear that some commentators make a deal out of the META TAUTA phrase and others think their case is over stated. Then others say the terms for look and behold indicate visionary introduction formula minimizing the term META TAUTA. So...I am trying to do a search in BW7.0 but am nervous my solution is not correct.

What I want to do is find any phrase that has META TAUTA in it. Which I think i've done by searching for 'META TAUTA (using Greek characters of course). Then I want to search for the EIDON and IDOU (again using Greek characters)...within so many words of each other (say no more than 10)...using the lemma, not the form. That's the first one I have trouble with. I'm not sure I get how to do that.

Then finally I want to search for any phrase that has 'META TAUTA and is within a couple verses of the combination 'EIDON and IDOU within ten words of each other so that I can look more carefully at those verses in particular.

So it's the second and third searches I feel I have no idea if I am getting in the ball park or if I'm standing in a hockey rink with a baseball and glove...
Can someone help me on this?

Steve Watkins
04-26-2006, 05:17 PM
What I want to do is find any phrase that has META TAUTA in it. Which I think i've done by searching for 'META TAUTA (using Greek characters of course).

Make sure you search on lemmas - use a morphologically tagged version (like BGM), and enter 'meta outoj on the command line.

Then I want to search for the EIDON and IDOU (again using Greek characters)...within so many words of each other (say no more than 10)...using the lemma, not the form.

Again, use BGM or another morphologically tagged edition, and enter the following on the command line:

'oraw *10 idou

That's the lemma for eidon and the lemma for idou within 10 words of eachother.

Then finally I want to search for any phrase that has 'META TAUTA and is within a couple verses of the combination 'EIDON and IDOU within ten words of each other so that I can look more carefully at those verses in particular.

With BGM, enter the following on the command line:

('meta outoj).3('oraw *10 idou)

That's your meta tauta phrase, followed within 3 verses by your oraw idou construct, where they are not more than 10 words from eachother. Adjust those numeric variables as necessary to broaden or constrict the search.

Hope that helps! Good searching!

Steve