PDA

View Full Version : Stepping up a level - what tools to use?

Karen Spray
04-25-2006, 06:03 PM
I would like some advice from more experienced BW users. Although I have used BW since v 4 and now have v6, and am very familiar with it in many ways, I have not done any very complex work with it. For instance, I have never used the ASE until now, although I have done quite a lot with word-lists and verse-lists for various purposes.

I am now working on a dissertation studying the words for 'righteousness' in the Old and New Testaments, so I want to make sure I am using all the tools which might be useful. I'm not asking how to do things exactly, as I can read that up in the manual, more which things to do, if that makes sense. I just have this feeling that BW probably has options which I have never even realised were there.

So for instance, I have been comparing verse lists of sdq words in the WTM and dikai* words in the BGT in various ways, and I guess I can do that more efficiently by using the ASE. But I'm wondering if it would also be useful to pull out the relevant verses and make a 'version' of them - I'm thinking I would like to be able to 'mark' verses where righteousness is attributed to God as opposed to mankind and then subsequently search on that. Or would I do that by making another verse list of thise verses and adding it into an ase diagram?

I was also wondering about exporting to an Access database for manipulation; does anyone do that?

Many thanks.

Philip Brown
04-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi, Karen,

If your dissertation involves comparing LXX and MT data, don't deprive yourself of access to the Tov-Polak LXX-BHS comparison tool in BW 7.0. Why use the ASE to search for verses in WTT that have the zdq root and verses in BGT that have the dikai* root, when 7.0 already has all that data and more in a searchable db specifically designed for LXX-BHS comparisons?

My thoughts

Michael Hanel
04-25-2006, 10:46 PM
BW 7 also having Conybeare's short grammar and the Lust Septuagint lexicon would also be very helpful in your studies. I can't imagine never using those in your research.

Karen Spray
04-26-2006, 03:22 AM
Thank you for these pointers; I had not really appreciated that v7 had such specific tools. I find I have to guard against always thinking that I need the 'perfect tool' before I can do a job, but I am giving serious consideration now to upgrading. I just happen to have a book grant cheque in my purse which is for 5GBP short of the amount the upgrade would cost me! I am also impressed by the 'task oriented' help interface, as that is really what I have missed before; something to alert me to techniques and features I could have been using for tasks.

I am already somewhat short of time for my initial research deadline, however, and I'm concerned that changing to a new version will absorb more of that precious commodity. Can those who have made the change reassure me that the interface will not be too hard to relearn?

Plus, I would still be glad to hear from anyone who uses Access in conjunction with BW; or anyone who thinks this is unnecessary/ not useful.

Many thanks for your help.

Noel Fitzpatrick
04-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Dear Karen

go for it and upgrade to BW 7.

Could you get your library to buy it for all students?

Regards,

Noel.

Michael Hanel
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Thank you for these pointers; I had not really appreciated that v7 had such specific tools. I find I have to guard against always thinking that I need the 'perfect tool' before I can do a job, but I am giving serious consideration now to upgrading. I just happen to have a book grant cheque in my purse which is for 5GBP short of the amount the upgrade would cost me! I am also impressed by the 'task oriented' help interface, as that is really what I have missed before; something to alert me to techniques and features I could have been using for tasks.

I am already somewhat short of time for my initial research deadline, however, and I'm concerned that changing to a new version will absorb more of that precious commodity. Can those who have made the change reassure me that the interface will not be too hard to relearn?

Plus, I would still be glad to hear from anyone who uses Access in conjunction with BW; or anyone who thinks this is unnecessary/ not useful.

Many thanks for your help.

That question is hard to answer because it's so subjective. There are major changes, but the switch from 6 to 7 is not nearly as great as it would have been from 4 to 6. Will the changes be cumbersome or hard to learn? I personally don't think so, but I know everyone's computer skills are at different levels, so it might be a challenge if you're not very adept.

However, there are resources to help you. BW7 comes with learning videos which you can watch to help you learn specific tasks. Also, obviously, you can ask questions on the user forums here and usually get a pretty speedy answer. Finally, depending where you live in the world, perhaps a BW training seminar might be coming to a place near you and you could likely learn quickly from a session like that. Actually one of the best ways to learn the new system is, if you can, to find someone near you who's running BW7 and watch them use it and ask questions.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
I have been comparing verse lists of sdq words in the WTM and dikai* words in the BGT in various ways, and I guess I can do that more efficiently by using the ASE.

The Tov parallel MT//LXX would be a fantastic tool for you. For one thing, you'll quickly note that tsdk* terms get translated not only by dikai* terms but by eleos, anaphano, krino, etc.; and that dikai* terms "translate" mishpat, chesed, pequdim, 'emet, yashar, tamim, etc.

You might also do some work with Louw-Nida to expand your awareness of the data in that semantic domain from the Greek side. Too bad we don't have an equivalent Hebrew semantic domain dictionary.

I was also wondering about exporting to an Access database for manipulation; does anyone do that?

Or, perhaps a simpler database like the Microsoft Words database. Access is probably needlessly complex for your work since it's a relational database, and a "flat" database like the one found in MW Works would allow all the sorting you would need.

Karen Spray
04-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Thanks again - I have decided to go for the upgrade as it seems like it will be very useful for this. And I could really have done with the Unicode for what i was doing last year, so I expect that will be useful in the future. Just waiting for the supplier to check my serial number and then for the box to arrive! At the moment I'm working my way through print-outs by hand to collate all the different ways the Hebrew is translated, so I'm guessing that what I spend on relearning the interface will be saved there.

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-28-2006, 04:38 AM
.... I'm guessing that what I spend on relearning the interface will be saved there.

And I don't think you'll find that the changes to the interface slow you down much anyway. The command-line searching stays the same, the location of some menu and icon items changes a little, but toward simplificaiton. I didn't miss a beat when I shifted--and am growing fond of the changes that threw me at first.:D

Karen Spray
04-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Just to say thank you for your recommendations - the BW7 upgrade I ordered arrived yesterday and is now installed and working fine. I can see that it has a lot of extras I'm going to find very useful - the tabs, in particular, as it is always such a nuisance to have to reset the whole scene when switching between longer-term research and things like personal Bible study or sermon prep. A wonderful job from the team, as usual.

I still have a few more queries, but I will post them separately.