PDA

View Full Version : Can I install BibleWorks 6 on my website?

CSUjr
04-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if I can upload my BibleWorks 6 program to my website so that visitors can conduct Bible searches while visiting my site?

If not, why?:eek: and/or will this feature be available in the future?:confused:

If so,:D is there someone that can give me instructions on how to do this?:rolleyes:

Thank you,

Charles

Dan Phillips
04-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Make the product available for free? Generously-meant idea, I don't doubt.

However, my guess would be "No" -- for the same reason publishers don't as a rule put whole books up on websites for free: the workman is worthy of his hire.

Mark Eddy
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
The short answer is "No." Read your license agreement. BW allows you to install it on two computers (e.g. one at home and one a work). Anything beyond that (like network installations) requires special licensing (and extra fees).
The BW6 search engine is not in the public domain, and therefore it cannot be offered free to the public. Someone has to pay for all the work the BW staff does. Also some databases within BW are copyrighted, and BW pays the copyright holder royalties or fees. Thou shalt not steal.
In Christ,
Mark Eddy

Steve Watkins
04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This is why, I believe, the license agreement is specifically called a "Single User License Agreement" - it's not intended for use by multiple users.

MrShep
04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I would like to know if I can upload my BibleWorks 6 program to my website so that visitors can conduct Bible searches while visiting my site?

As already answered, "no". To implement something "like" Bibleworks within a web browser would take some considerable time and efforts. As anyone with web programming experience will tell you, there are more ways than 1. There are many websites that attempt to provide these features, but they don't even come close to the variety of features that Bibleworks offers. Here are 2 examples of Bible search functionality on the web:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/
http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html

As you may already know, you can't just "put" a desktop application on a website and use it, but you can use a variety of tools to build your own -- like the examples above.

To "put" a website with that functionality on the web would require the following:

1). A great deal of planning
2). An operating system of choice --windows or linux
2). A web server --IIS, Apache, Coldfusion, etc...
3). A server side programming language --PHP, ASP, JSP, Coldfusion
4). A powerful database server --MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc...
5). Many hours, weeks, months debugging
6). More planning
7). Repeat steps 5-7 until no new features are requested :-)

Some common tools and available for free are: Linux (operating system), Apache (web server), MySQL (database server), and PHP (server side programming language).

Since these tools are available for free, you too can experience the joy and pain of website programming!

Seriously, I hope this may help those that wonder about "what" lies under the hood of Bible Search (database driven) websites.

Shep