PDA

View Full Version : Three disparate questions

Dan Phillips
04-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi, Bibleworks Brainiacs. I have three questions, one of which I asked within a thread, but never got an answer. This will be child's play for you.

It seems that the NIV, my favorite version to mock, lacks the marginal notes. Is that accurate, or am I doing something wrong? I do see marginal notes for other versions. Is there any plan to include the notes?
Is there a simple way to clear the list of verses in the left pane (Search Window)?
Can anyone explain, finally and understandably, what the "context buttons" actually do? I refer to the "back and forward" buttons above and to the right the Search command line. In any other app, particularly in a web browser, they would take you to the last verse you had displayed. Not in BW; I can't for the life of me figure out how they work. In church, on my Portege 3505 combo, I'll search for a verse, then another, then try to click back to where I started -- no go. I've tried various ways of proceeding, and none of them makes sense to me, giving any simple way just to go back and forth along the verses you've displayed. What do they do, then? And is there something else that does what I want, apart from using different tabs?Thanks in advance!

Steve Watkins
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
It seems that the NIV, my favorite version to mock, lacks the marginal notes. Is that accurate, or am I doing something wrong? I do see marginal notes for other versions. Is there any plan to include the notes?

Dunno about this one.

Is there a simple way to clear the list of verses in the left pane (Search Window)?

If I understand your question rightly, I believe this is what the tabs at the top of the Search Window (numbered 1-12) are for. Once you perform a search in one tab, you can click on another tab for a fresh window, and perform another search. To clear the contents of a search tab, right-click on it and select "clear tab" for the one you want to clear.

Can anyone explain, finally and understandably, what the "context buttons" actually do? I refer to the "back and forward" buttons above and to the right the Search command line. In any other app, particularly in a web browser, they would take you to the last verse you had displayed. Not in BW; I can't for the life of me figure out how they work. In church, on my Portege 3505 combo, I'll search for a verse, then another, then try to click back to where I started -- no go. I've tried various ways of proceeding, and none of them makes sense to me, giving any simple way just to go back and forth along the verses you've displayed. What do they do, then? And is there something else that does what I want, apart from using different tabs?

The context buttons take you back and forth inside of the search window, between the contexts that you have recently viewed, in the order that you viewed them. This is a search function - so when you perform a search, the window displays a series of hits which you can click on or scroll through, bringing the result up in the Browse window. As you do this, the context arrows allow you to go back through the series as you clicked on them in the Search Window. If you are scrolling through verses in the Browse Window, then the context buttons will not trace that sequence, as they are tied to the Search window results only.

Hope that helps some!

SCW

Dan Phillips
04-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes, Steve, thanks very much. It does help. (I was beginning to feel shunned. :cool: )

That clear-tab -- eesh. I'd right-clicked everywhere except on the tab.

As to the context... I tested out what you said, and it worked. I feel sure that, at least with 6, in church, I'd go from verse to verse, but be unable to retrace it using those arrows. Maybe I used the drop-downs instead of the search feature.

Perhaps someone else knows the NIV footnote answer?

Thanks again.

Michael Hanel
04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Not entirely sure what you mean. Do you mean what BW calls translator notes? Like in Gen 1:1 how the ESV, NET and NAS all have notes on this verse, but not NIV? To the best of my memory (and I surely could be wrong) the NIV has never had these kind of notes in BW (does that jive with your experience?). As to why not, email the BW guys at the top to see if you get an answer, I'm not sure I've ever heard that there is a reason for this.

Philip Brown
04-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Mike's right. BW has never had the NIV's marginal notes. Somewhere back I think I remember Mike Bushell explaining that Zondervan did not supply them in the electronic version of the text that was licensed to BW.

Steve Watkins
04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
That does ring a bell, now that you mention it. I remember the discussion having something to do with the BW staff choosing, in light of the omission, to include the TSK data instead...