PDA

View Full Version : Command Line in Parallel Versions Window

D Leavins
04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Folks-
In version 6, when I had a Parallel Versions window open, I could either navigate using 1) the arrows at the top left, 2) the drop down menus for the books and chapter and verse numbers, OR 3) by using a text entry command line. (I.e., I could type in Gen. 4:8 and it would take me to Gen 4:8 and following.) To be clear, this is NOT the command line in the main Bibleworks window. It was a command line for the Parallel versions window itself.

Having described that, in version 7, I now do not have that command line on the Parallel versions window anymore. There are only the arrows and drop down menus. Anyone know how I can get the command line back? I always thought that line was much easier to use than the arrows or menus.

Thanks-

Danny

MBushell
04-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi Danny,
We tried to clean up the interface a bit and remove some redundancy. This is one of the things that was dropped. However, if you open the Parallel Versions window and click SHift-Ctrl B a floating command line will open. This seemed better than a command line on each window.
Mike

MGVH
04-13-2006, 09:26 PM
That Shift-Ctrl-B is a nice trick to know, but I'm not sure how easy to remember. How about a little icon for it on the left side with the other icons?
Certainly a very small matter...

D Leavins
04-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks Mike. That works just fine. It's good to have that option again!

Danny

dleavins
04-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Folks-

It looks like I have the same issue in Version 8 now. I would like to be able to enter the verse reference for the parallel window, but the old Ctrl+Shift+ B now does something else.

Could you please let me know how to pull up the floating Command Line window that will allow me to enter, for example, "2 Kings 4:4", and be taken to that passage?

Thank you very much!

Danny

Adelphos
04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
It looks like I have the same issue in Version 8 now. I would like to be able to enter the verse reference for the parallel window, but the old Ctrl+Shift+ B now does something else.

This has to be a bug. I've reported it to CS.

Open Parallel Window and then shift-ctrl-b, type in a verse, the Parallel Window does not update. Has to be a bug.

Adelphos
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Customer Service was fast, but I think the answer will be disappointing to some. Here is the reply...

"Actually this is something new to 8, due to the program having the functionality of a Popup Copy Window in the program, the old shift-ctrl-b now opens the Popup Copy Window and the floating command line is no longer available in BibleWorks 8."

Thus, it looks like the only way to change verses in the Parallel Window in BW8 is via the mouse.

dleavins
04-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Adelphos,

Thanks for checking into that. That answer is quite disappointing. I will make a request to CS for an update to address this. Not sure how they will respond...

SkipB
04-08-2009, 01:51 PM
It may not be as convenient perhaps as the floating command line, but there is a faster way than scroll buttons and mouse. Try pressing escape, the cursor jumps to the main command line, type in a reference and the parallel windows are updated. It works for me even if the parallel window is maximized. You do have to take it by faith and touch type since the CL is hidden behind the maximized parallel window. But it is as fast as calling up the old floating command line. Hope that helps speed things up a bit for the time being.

Adelphos
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Try pressing escape, the cursor jumps to the main command line, type in a reference and the parallel windows are updated.

That's a great tip. I do, in fact, use the PW somewhat, so this is very nice to know.

dleavins
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
SkipB-

Excellent tip. Works perfectly, or at least as perfectly as I type...

Thank you very much!

Danny

SCSaunders
04-09-2009, 11:55 AM
... You do have to take it by faith and touch type since the CL is hidden behind the maximized parallel window. ... Change the Parent Window of the Parallel Window to the Desktop and then do quick/one-handed ALT+TABs.

http://i42.tinypic.com/14vsjl0.png

http://i44.tinypic.com/qrch8j.png

SkipB
04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
When I do that, with the parallel window maximized, esc minimizes the parallel window and puts cursor on command line. I then type reference, the browse window is unaffected and alt tab takes me right to the parallel window that is now changed to the reference I just typed.
Ahh that is why I like this forum, getting to pick so many brains.

MBushell
04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
We added a popup CL as requested. To access it right click on a blank area at the top of the browse window and select the last item.

Mike

DavidR
04-09-2009, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=SCSaunders;17674]Change the Parent Window of the Parallel Window to the Desktop and then do quick/one-handed ALT+TABs.

Never knew you could do that! What a great tip! It works with the lexicon browser window too (and I suppose others as well). And the setting "sticks" -- I made the lexicon browser a desktop window, and when I closed BW and started it again and then opened the lexicon browser again, it opened as a desktop window. Nice!

David Rensberger

SCSaunders
04-10-2009, 07:47 AM
.... Never knew you could do that! What a great tip! ....I started doing this a long time ag0, then quit. It was beneficial when I used MS Word for all my notes.

Now that the group I'm teaching is getting older, I'm using Power Point [PPT] less and Bible Works more. I run my lessons through a projector. I use the Editor for my lesson plan. With the Editor's ability to create all kinds of hyperlinks to things external to BW, like to JPEGS, Videos, MS Files, etc. and it's ability to type/add-text "in real time" - I have the best of all group-focusing-guided-discussion worlds IMO.

dleavins
04-11-2009, 06:10 AM
We added a popup CL as requested. To access it right click on a blank area at the top of the browse window and select the last item.

Mike

Mike-

Thank you so much for adding that. Great work!

And CSSaunders- that is very helpful advice as well.

Thanks all!

Danny