PDA

View Full Version : Unicode and Version DB Compiler

sargon
04-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Hi there,

does anyone know how to compile a bible version also using non ASCII characters (i.e. for instance East. Eur. characters). BW VDC does not seem to be able to interpret UTF-8 or Unicode txt files. Do I have to insert special codes before those characters?

Thank you.
peter a.

jdarlack
04-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Sorry, but the VDC does not handle any unicode.

MBushell
04-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Peter,

There are huge issues with making the VDC work with Unicode. Other than display issues, there are character set issues. BW has to know what characters are extraneous (punctuation for example) and what characters are legal parts of words. Apart from Unicode this is handled by Windows using the old code pages, which are not Unicode. The VDC may be Unicode based some day, but it will be a major, majoe job and I don't expect it before BW 8.0 which is something still in the gedanken stage.

It is however relatively straightforward to compile a version in most code pages supported by XP. If your text is in Unicode you must first convert it to a particular langiage code page. For Eastern European you'd choose something like Polish, etc. In Word 2003 and later this is easy and when you save a file in text format it will ask what code page you want to use and it will do the conversion for you. All you do after that is specifiy the same code page in the VDC, and also specify a font that is based on the same code page. At present the process works well but does not work for Asian languages.

Mike