PDA

View Full Version : Search for only verbs & participles

dbielby
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Is there a slick way to search for only the verbs & participles in a passage and pull just that information up or paste it into a word processor with the parsing codes?

For example: Have BW7.0 give me all the verbs and participles in the Greek text with parsing codes next to them (omitting all other words) from Revelation 3:1-22.

Michael Burer
04-14-2006, 10:51 AM
The best way to do this would be to execute the search and then use the Word List Manager (WLM) to compile the list of hits.

1. First limit your search to the passage you want by typing the following on the command line: l Rev 3:1-22

2. Then find what you want. In this case, limit your search to all verbs in that section: .*@v*

3. Once the search is complete, start the WLM. Click on "Load or Generate Word List," and make sure that you check "Load highlighted words from last query" and "Keep morph codes." Then click "Create list."

4. Once the list is compiled, click on File, and you will see various options for exporting to different formats (iel, rtf, or txt).

On a related issue, I'm not sure what you mean by "verbs and participles." Participles are a subset of verbs; you can define indicatives vs. participles, imperatives vs. participles, etc., but not verbs vs. participles. In step 2 above, the code after the v would be for that category.

That should get you what you are looking for.

Philip Brown
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi, Dave,

See my answer to your previous post for a way to do what you want with the Report Generator.

Philip