PDA

View Full Version : Speeding up exegesis

dbielby
04-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been doing a tedious process for analyzing my textual work...I am wondering if there is a quick way to get a group of verses pulled out of BW7.0
and pasted into MS Word with analysis reformatted for certain words...and in the format that I learned in college. For example...Revelation 3:7-13 pasted into a word processor (NA27th edition text) with all verb parsing (only-not all the morphology) laid out in this format...Present Active Indicative 3rd Singular....instead of the format that BW's gives. Does anyone know how and if I could get BW to do that for me instead of going through word by word and pasting/looking it all up?

Michael Hanel
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I've been doing a tedious process for analyzing my textual work...I am wondering if there is a quick way to get a group of verses pulled out of BW7.0
and pasted into MS Word with analysis reformatted for certain words...and in the format that I learned in college. For example...Revelation 3:7-13 pasted into a word processor (NA27th edition text) with all verb parsing (only-not all the morphology) laid out in this format...Present Active Indicative 3rd Singular....instead of the format that BW's gives. Does anyone know how and if I could get BW to do that for me instead of going through word by word and pasting/looking it all up?

Initially this would take work on your part, but what you would do is write down all of the BW codes in one column and then what you want that code to say in another and make a macro in Word that would replace all the BW codes with what you want.

But honestly it's like learning a new language. You use the BW codes enough and you'll be thinking of that vipa1s instead of present indicative active 1 sg.

So my final answer. You could do what you want by making a Macro in Word to do just this using the Replace function. It would just take some initial effort.

dbielby
04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Initially this would take work on your part, but what you would do is write down all of the BW codes in one column and then what you want that code to say in another and make a macro in Word that would replace all the BW codes with what you want.

But honestly it's like learning a new language. You use the BW codes enough and you'll be thinking of that vipa1s instead of present indicative active 1 sg.

So my final answer. You could do what you want by making a Macro in Word to do just this using the Replace function. It would just take some initial effort.

I haven't made macros since the 1980's when I used Word Perfect on my Toshiba laptop that had a floppy drive and a 5 megabyte hard drive...I should have thought of that. Good idea & thank you!

David

dbielby
04-12-2006, 02:12 PM
So then how would I pull just verbs & participles w/parsing information out of a passage......and then the whole text...? Is that possible?

Philip Brown
04-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi, Dave,

If you have BW 7.0, update to the latest executable.
I've attached a pic to show you what the options in the Report Generator need to look like to extract the parsing for only verbs and verbals -- no macros needed.

Philip