PDA

View Full Version : BW 6: Josephus Files Virus Alert?

ptd99uk
04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I have just had to re-install my copy of BW 6, and then download all the updates (to 6.0.012r).

However, whenever I try and download the update to the Josephus files (Rev 1 6.0.0010y), my Norton AntiVirus interupts and warns of a worm intrusion :eek: . (I have the BW program listed as an exception to my Norton Firewall).

Is there a problem with this file, or do I need to somehow alter my computer setup to get this download. :confused:

Thank you in anticipation of any help you can give.

God bless you,

Peter

Michael Hanel
04-07-2006, 03:49 PM
As a rule I've found Norton's warnings to be more obtrusive than the worms the program is supposed to prevent. I highly doubt that there is any worm activity coming from BW files. At least I've never heard of a single report in all of my years using their stuff of anything like that, so I would say whatever Norton is getting upset at it, it is a normal activity of BW. That is no absolute guarantee, but I would say 99.99% ;)

Adelphos
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
As a rule I've found Norton's warnings to be more obtrusive than the worms the program is supposed to prevent.

Man, I couldn't agree more. I'm about fed up with Norton. I used to think they were the best, but with every upgrade it's gotten increasingly worse, so that putting up with their intrusions is costing me more time than it would take me to manually disinfect my system from a virus in the first place.

MBushell
04-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Peter,
There is no worm in the Josephus patch. Norton looks for patterns and sometimes a file has a pattern that looks similar to a pattern in a real worm. I have noticed that sometimes when I am uploading a patch Norton will warn me that it has a worm. I have notice by trial and error that most of the time I was typing during the upload. There may be some connection. Try not typing during the dowload. If the download fails just disable Norton temporarily and reenable it after the download.
Mike

ptd99uk
04-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Many thanks for all your replies. I was 99.99% sure that there wasn't any virus in the patch, but I just thought I'd make sure. I've temporarily disabled Norton and loaded the Josephus patch, and everything's fine.

Thanks again.