PDA

View Full Version : Transferring User Created Add-ons from 6 to 7?



Mark Cannon
04-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Please forgive my laziness for not going over the online help manual with a fine toothed comb, but I don't see anything about this in the manual and haven't noticed a thread that addresses how to transfer the user created add-ons that I have previously compiled for BW 6.
I still have the skeleton of my BW 6 files in my program files folder and wondered if there is a simple way to transfer those over to BW 7 (like copying them to the appropriate folder) or do I need to go through the whole process of recompiling? Any instructions or reference to the manual/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Cannon

Michael Hanel
04-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Please forgive my laziness for not going over the online help manual with a fine toothed comb, but I don't see anything about this in the manual and haven't noticed a thread that addresses how to transfer the user created add-ons that I have previously compiled for BW 6.
I still have the skeleton of my BW 6 files in my program files folder and wondered if there is a simple way to transfer those over to BW 7 (like copying them to the appropriate folder) or do I need to go through the whole process of recompiling? Any instructions or reference to the manual/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark Cannon

Theoretically it should be possible to simply move whatever leftover files you have in your databases directory and then the next time you start up BW7, they should be there. I say theoretically simply because what I did was copied my "userdb" directory where I kept all of my custom databases and re-compiled them. It took all of 3 minutes, but no problems.

MGVH
04-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I tried copying all the files from the BW6 to BW7 directory (including the related vmf and ddf files), but behavior was erratic. As Michael Hanel noted, I also ended up recompiling and everything has been fine.

Mark Cannon
04-07-2006, 11:31 PM
I think I'll play it safe and go through the whole recompiling process from scratch. I had transferred over a synopsis file and it worked fine, which made me wonder if I could do so with databases.