PDA

View Full Version : Popup Versions with Hebrew verses

Doug Dunbar
04-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I was noticing that the popup version window displays the English verse number in the BHS/WTT version, which in some cases - especially Psalms, means the popup text is one verse off. I tried changing the version order in the "Choose Popup Version" dialog, but that didn't change anything. The Hebrew verses are listed (see TWOT entries), but not linked for popup versions. Any fixes for this?

Dale A. Brueggemann
04-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I was noticing that the popup version window displays the English verse number in the BHS/WTT version, which in some cases - especially Psalms, means the popup text is one verse off.... Any fixes for this?

Well, of course it should work that way. You're searching on the Hebrew. But if you want to cite it with English order, as I am doing right now in an IVP dictionary article on Psalm titles, you go to the command line and change your display version back to an English version, which will automatically change the resulting verse list to the English versification.

After searching on the Hebrew (or LXX, which even has different Psalm numbers), I do the following:

Hit <esc> twice, which puts your cursor in the command line and then clears it.
type in d n, which is shorthand for [d]isplay, and [n]ormal, a list of my normal favorites, which I have labeled 'n' rather than 'normal,' and which identifies an English translation as the display version.
Voila! My verse list is correct for citing if what I need is English rather than Hebrew or LXX versification.

Doug Dunbar
04-06-2006, 11:32 PM
I probably need to clarify the issue a bit more. I am using BW7 and the verse references in HALOT, TWOT, and other lexica are linked to the text. The TWOT entries have the English verse linked and the Hebrew verse in parenthesis. When you click on the entry to bring up the verse in the browser window the verse is one off. For example, under the TWOT entry xjb there is a link to Psa 31:14[H 15]. In that refernece Psa 31:14 is linked so that the mouse-over popup window brings up the text, but the Hebrew verse is not. The problem is that in both the popup window or the browser window that returns the verse as 31:14 in the Hebrew text and 31:13 in the English. So the linking here seems to be glitched.

Mark Eddy
04-07-2006, 01:45 AM
I was noticing that the popup version window displays the English verse number in the BHS/WTT version, which in some cases - especially Psalms, means the popup text is one verse off. I tried changing the version order in the "Choose Popup Version" dialog, but that didn't change anything. The Hebrew verses are listed (see TWOT entries), but not linked for popup versions. Any fixes for this?
The problem is that TWOT usually uses the verse numbering of the English translations (putting the Hebrew verse numbers in brackets). The English verses are hyperlinked, the Hebrew alternatives are not.
The best way to get the correct verse to appear in the popup windows is to use "My Computer" and go to the BibleWorks 7 folder. Open the "Databases" folder and find the twotlex.ldf file. Open it with WordPad, and change the line "OTREFERENCES WTT" to "OTREFERENCES NAU". (NAS or RSV should work too). Save this file, and re-open BibleWorks. Now your OT popups will display the proper verses, even for Psalms and Joel 4.
The programmers really should make this the default twotlex.ldf setting. I'll notify them of this.
This does not affect the other OT lexicons. They should be (and are) mapped to the WTT verse numbering.
Thanks for catching this.
Mark Eddy

MBushell
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
FYI I put the updated TWOT file that Mark taled about in the latest executable (13w). So if you grab the exe you don't have to edit the file. Thanks Mark for alerting me about this.
Mike

Doug Dunbar
04-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Yet another truly amazing display of community problem solving. Thanks all.

arggem
04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Yet another truly amazing display of community problem solving. Thanks all.Yeah, no kidding. And Mike fixed the problem even before being officially notified!! Way to go BW (and the humans behind it!)