PDA

View Full Version : question on preparing files to work with BW

rrocs
04-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Hello,

I have a Bible version in rtf format. I would like to use it with BW.7. I am new using the programme.
I have started to prepare the files putting the inicial codes for each verse.

It seems a very long-repetitive work, and we are short of needful time. Do you know if there is a shortcut or an automatised procedure to do this?

Thank you,

Ramon

Ruben Gomez
04-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Hello,

I have a Bible version in rtf format. I would like to use it with BW.7. I am new using the programme.

It seems a very long-repetitive work, and we are short of needful time. Do you know if there is a shortcut or an automatised procedure to do this?

Thank you,

Ramon
The "automation" is generally achieved by using search/replace with regular expressions and/or PERL scripts, but judging from your words I get the feeling you are not familiar with this kind of work. Have you checked if the Bible you want to use with BW has already been imported by another user? That may be the case, which would certainly save you a lot of time and energy.

Just an idea.

Rubén Gómez

rrocs
04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
You are right. I am not familiar with this kind of work. Have you already tried your hand on it?

No, this version is a new version and it has not been edited to be used with BW.

Can you suggest any tips in order to make the work easier? Is is possible to use a macro with WordPad or Word2000 that would recognise the structure of verses and add Gen 1:1+ and so on as appropiate?

What are PERL scripts?

Thank you.

Ruben Gomez
04-05-2006, 09:59 AM
You are right. I am not familiar with this kind of work. Have you already tried your hand on it?
I do when I have to add a new version that isn't properly formatted for use with BW. Learning regular expressions does take some time though...

No, this version is a new version and it has not been edited to be used with BW.

Can you suggest any tips in order to make the work easier? Is is possible to use a macro with WordPad or Word2000 that would recognise the structure of verses and add Gen 1:1+ and so on as appropiate?
I can't help you with macros, but I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who might have something to say about that.

I seem to remember that there are some programs that can help automate the formatting. Biblos (http://biblos.casadealabanza.org/) is one of them, but I have not used it much, so I'll not be able to help you with it. Sorry.

What are PERL scripts?
It's a scripting language used frequently to edit texts. Again, it takes quite a bit of time and practice to master it.

Best regards,

Rubén Gómez

Mark Eddy
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM

For my own version I started in BW by going to "Tools" and choosing "Export Database." In the "Text Export" window click on "Save as template (references only)". And choose a version within BW that already used the basic verse numbering your version uses (newer versions in the same language usually use the same verse reference system, while older versions often follow numbering similar to KJV). Then click "OK". Next choose the option to save as a .txt file (not .rtf).
This will give you a "Bible version" that has no text, only the verse references. You can cut and paste your version onto this. I used this method because I am adding verses weekly as I translate along. This method would be time-comsuming for a completed version.
I have heard (but haven't tried it) that you could use this exported "version" of raw verse numbers in column 1 of a spreadsheet, and put your text of the verses in column 2 of that spreadsheet (you would first have to make sure that each verse of your text is on a separate line in your .txt file). Then you would have to change your spreadsheet back into a .txt file before compiling your version in BW.
But, as I said, I haven't tried using spreadsheets.
I hope this gives you some leads.
Mark Eddy