PDA

View Full Version : How to Find multiple occurrences of the Same Word

briantipton
03-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I am trying to find an easy way to find verses that have multiple occurences of a word. I know that BW calculates the number of hits per verse, but I cannot figure out how to access that number to make use of it.

I have tried less than elegant searches like:

'word *99 word and

'word *20 word *20 word
And for words like και which can occur many times in a verse, this is a very non-elegant solution. As you add more search terms (number of words) the speed of the query descends exponentially.

Who has the right solution? It might be good to have access to the number of hits calculation for each verse. Perhaps you could sort the Search Results window by number of hits. Just thinking...

Michael Burer
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I think it might be closer. I started by entering the following in the command line:

.#1 #1

(This would find identical words in sequence, but I simply use it as a shortcut to configure the GSE.) With the above in the command line, click on the Common Search Utilities button to the right of the command line, and then open the GSE. This will open the GSE with two word boxes set to find any words (with the wildcard *) and the proper agreement in place to match the whole word. Then put an ordering mode box between the two words; you can set that to a large number of words (for example, between 0 and 20).

The problem with this search is that it casts the net pretty widely. I ran this on this BGM and found tons and tons of hits, but most of them involved the article, common prepositions, pronouns, etc. You could refine this by excluding those common words from the search by using an inclusion/exclusion list in your word box.

briantipton
03-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it.

I was looking for a way to look for a particular word (either lemma or form) rather than all the words that occur twice. I checked my command line version in the GSE and it was identical to the #1 #1 except that the word was specified.

Still, hunting...but this gives me a new direction to look. :)

Thanks.

MBushell
03-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Brian,
Try entering that search on the command line. The open the GSE and it will open with the equivalent search. For this kind of search the GSE is much quicker. It's one advantage of having two searche engines. One is faster for some things and the other is faster for others.
Mike

briantipton
04-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Mike,

Thanks! That was a lot faster! :eek: (Seconds rather than minutes for three terms). But now my curiosity is up.

What is the difference in the way the command line does a search and the way the GSE does a search? I have read the query steps in the Help file for the GSE. What are the steps or step, whichever is the cae, that the command line search performs. Knowing this might help me determine when to put a search I can do from the command line into the GSE.

Learning everyday!