PDA

View Full Version : Unicode New Testament

NumberMan™
03-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know if there is a free Unicode New Testament that has the Greek and English side by side. It's to put up on a web page for users who visit.

I'm unsure of copyrights for things of this nature. Considering it's the Bible, copyrights are rather ridiculous. :)

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

NumberMan™
03-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Unicode Old Testament as well.

Thanks

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Considering it's the Bible, copyrights are rather ridiculous. :)

And I'm sure no one would object if you edited the entire NT from the various manuscripts then typed it in for us all to use without copyright. :D
And the OT too, as your second posting suggested. :eek:

NumberMan™
03-22-2006, 09:38 AM
It should always be done at cost then since none of it belongs to mankind, it's a gift to mankind. I would love to see the look on peoples faces when they stand face to face with God and explain they sued someone over copyrights related to his scriptures. I will of course uphold the laws of the land which is why I'm looking for that special someone that has done it for free and gives for free.

If I had the time I would love to do it, but don't. Which brings me back to my original question.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm looking for that special someone that has done it for free and gives for free.

Yet, the laborer is worthy of his hire.

NumberMan™
03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes it takes a ton of labor to research ancient manuscripts and translate them into english and so forth. I mean I would love to do that, but good luck finding them as they are in museums or private collections.

What are we to do about that?

Do you work for Tyndale House? I saw that on the google search for Unicode Greek/Hebrew etc...

It would be a nice thing to have on a web page for people, but I'm not sure of the legal issues. If someone pays for the info then what are the restrictions. I'm aware you can't resell for obvious reasons, but what of just giving access to users on a web page so they can reference the Greek and Hebrew words. Is there a fee involved or how does that work?

Thanks for the tips

Michael Hanel
03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Check out the site www.zhubert.com, it is a growing site that def has a lot of capabilities and may be valuable for you....

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Do you work for Tyndale House? I saw that on the google search for Unicode Greek/Hebrew etc... Yes, I work at Tyndale House as a visiting scholar.

It would be a nice thing to have on a web page for people, but I'm not sure of the legal issues. Visit www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk (http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk) and check out the many resources located there, to which you can provide web-links for free.

Michael Hanel
03-22-2006, 01:15 PM
More Greek resources can be found at the NT Gateway links site (as well as many other places) http://www.ntgateway.com/greek/index.htm

but in a short response, you could not print online the BHS or Nestle text unless you used an out of copyright version (such as Westcott-Hort or something). Yes it is the Bible, but as Dale said, in order for new versions and such to be put together scholars spend countless hours and someone has to feed them ;) We are grateful for such places like BibleWorks where the work of many can be united into one nice place. Granted not everyone can afford an expensive program like BW and not everyone needs all of the things it can do, but when it comes to the Bible, costs are usually not the thing preventing people from using them....