PDA

View Full Version : Word Processing

Chris Hatton
03-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Hi, I am a new BW user. Recently purchased BW7. As simple as it seems, I can't seem to figure out how to cut a portion of a Hebrew text from my BW browse window and paste it into a Word document. I have adjusted my export fonts to export in Unicode. When I highlight the desired text portion and then attempt to paste the Hebrew portion into the Word document the Hebrew text does not assimilate into the Word document; I think it creates what BW calls a "hard return." I thought this was the point of using unicode? I am sure there is a simple solution to this but it escapes me. I have searched for the solution in the BW Online Help (especially the video helps) but it focuses on cutting and pasting into the BW Editor rather than a word processor. There is a note in the Online Help regarding "Hebrew Line Wrap Width" but the note does not tell you how to fix the problem. Furthermore, does the correction need to be made in the word processor or BW? Is there a way to set up BW7 so that one can simply highlight a (Hebrew) text, "right" click, and then paste into a Word document? Even cutting and pasting a Greek text was not seamless. The portion that I was attempting to cut and paste was only three words so I don't think it would need to have inserted a "hard return." I have also searched for a post that deals with this issue but didn't seem to find a clear post. Does everyone experience this big learning curve when attemptiong to use BW?

Sure could use some help.

Chris

Michael Hanel
03-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi, I am a new BW user. Recently purchased BW7. As simple as it seems, I can't seem to figure out how to cut a portion of a Hebrew text from my BW browse window and paste it into a Word document. I have adjusted my export fonts to export in Unicode. When I highlight the desired text portion and then attempt to paste the Hebrew portion into the Word document the Hebrew text does not assimilate into the Word document; I think it creates what BW calls a "hard return." I thought this was the point of using unicode? I am sure there is a simple solution to this but it escapes me. I have searched for the solution in the BW Online Help (especially the video helps) but it focuses on cutting and pasting into the BW Editor rather than a word processor. There is a note in the Online Help regarding "Hebrew Line Wrap Width" but the note does not tell you how to fix the problem. Furthermore, does the correction need to be made in the word processor or BW? Is there a way to set up BW7 so that one can simply highlight a (Hebrew) text, "right" click, and then paste into a Word document? Even cutting and pasting a Greek text was not seamless. The portion that I was attempting to cut and paste was only three words so I don't think it would need to have inserted a "hard return." I have also searched for a post that deals with this issue but didn't seem to find a clear post. Does everyone experience this big learning curve when attemptiong to use BW?

Sure could use some help.

Chris

What version of Word are you using again? I know older versions of Word have some issues when it comes to Hebrew

Chris Hatton
03-20-2006, 11:46 PM
I am using Office Xp 2002.

Chris Hatton
03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
From the number of views that this post has had and only one response can I assume that "cutting and pasting" from BW into a Word document is not as simple as it should be?

Michael Hanel
03-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Never assume anything :) I work mostly in Greek, but I know there are problems with using Hebrew because of the right to left. I've done pasting in Hebrew though into Word and obviously that works okay. You're talking more about formatting it for fitting into a document. I'm not sure this is a BW thing though, I think it has to do with Word (at least if i'm understanding it correctly....). So I guess you're waiting on someone who does Hebrew more to shed some light.....

I also notice that BW online help says they tested it within Word 2003 and there may also be issues in 2002 or earlier....

Chris Hatton
03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I too saw the help note about Word 2003 but I have cut and pasted from Logos into the Word 2002 which I am running and it works fine. Although with the Logos program you can only do one word at a time. This just seems like a very simple problem to be having. I work in Greek as well, and you're right, it is much easier working with Greek. I as computer savy as I would like so things have to be spelled out for me.

Thanks for responding to my question.

Michael Hanel
03-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I too saw the help note about Word 2003 but I have cut and pasted from Logos into the Word 2002 which I am running and it works fine. Although with the Logos program you can only do one word at a time. This just seems like a very simple problem to be having. I work in Greek as well, and you're right, it is much easier working with Greek. I as computer savy as I would like so things have to be spelled out for me.

Thanks for responding to my question.
I've been out of school this year, but last year (before BW7) I did exegeticals in Hebrew for class and quickly found myself either 1. preferring transliterations or 2. avoiding Hebrew because it is so hard and time consuming to go back and forth with trying to type backwards and then keep going in English in the same sentence. When we quoted passages in Hebrew, the profs just recommended using Tables in Word (and then later removing the frames of them) to get around some of the type-setting issues on a page. That saved hours of frustration, but I do feel your pain.

I would bet there are differences between copying one word vs. copying an entire verse or range of verses.

Oh and the plus or benefits of Unicode is a different issue altogether than this right to left, left to right thing. As is my understanding (and this was brought up on other threads) the best thing about Unicode is one font will contain every single character (we hope eventually) vs. having a Hebrew font, a Greek font, an English(Latin) font, etc. But I could be wrong....

P.S. the more dumb we sound about using Hebrew in Word, the more likely one of our nice scholarly friends will post and say, Oh that's why I use X for Word processing in Hebrew.... ;)

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
...the more dumb we sound about using Hebrew in Word, the more likely one of our nice scholarly friends will post and say, Oh that's why I use X for Word processing in Hebrew.... ;)Don't know about sounding dumb, since I haven't figured out Unicode myself; however, the proper right-to-left, including word-wrap, for Hebrew is one of the reason I use NotaBene.

Chris Hatton
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Dale, I think it was your post that I read in another discussion and I did check out Notabene. I just checked it out again and remebered why I was hesitant to get it. It's kind of expensive. But I do appreciate the advise.