PDA

View Full Version : English Philo missing texts?

Michael Burer
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
I noticed this morning that PHI and PHM have something which PHE doesn't: the text of Hypothetica (Hyp) and On Providence: Fragment I and II (a.k.a. De providentia [Prv]); this may be the case with other Philo texts, but I haven't bothered to dig and find out. These texts are in the updated edition of Philo published by Hendrickson. I assume they are not in PHE since this is based on the original Yonge edition, which is in the public domain. Is anyone able to confirm that I am correct on this? I don't have an older edition of Yonge to look at.

Michael Hanel
03-20-2006, 12:23 PM
You are correct. This is from the PHE version ID info

Copyright and Source Information:

PHE
The Works of Philo Judaeus, the Contemporary of Josephus, Translated from the Greek, C. D. Yonge, 4 vols., London: Henry G. Bohn, 1854-55
This work is in the Public Domain.

See also: PHI/PHM - The Philo Concordance Database, in Greek, with lemmatization and morphological tagging.

Introductions to the individual books can be found at http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/philo.html.

The following lists the BibleWorks Abbreviations used for the various works: Note that Hyp, Prv, Qgi, Qgp, Qex, and Qei are not available in this English translation of Philo.

Michael Burer
03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew that info on the version was available somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Interestingly enough, the info you copied does not show up in a secondary word analysis window (which I was using when I found this out). When I mouse over the version name with the primary word analysis window shown, I can see that. Thanks for the help!

MBushell
03-20-2006, 06:16 PM
We have asked permission from Hendrickson to use their text but they have not responded. It is an open question whether the additions are really worth the royalties we would have to pay.

Mike