PDA

View Full Version : What happened in my BW7?

MBD
03-20-2006, 04:06 AM
Two days ago I worked with BW 7 and typed in notes....what I mostly do with BW7 is type verse notes. I read commentaries on say Jonah and as the commentary makes an interesting comment on Jonah 4:2, I enter it in verse notes. I had the editor turned on wih all of the editor buttons. When I went to save it, it saved it as a RTF file but it seemed to want to save it in a different place than my regular notes I had schlepped over from BW6. I forced it to save it in the notes folder for Jonah. (I hope there are not going to be 2 types of notes!) Today I openned BW7 and got a new screen that wanted me to register; and it had preserved none of my earlier settings (such as font size, versions, etc.). It was tohu wa bohu. None of my notes are there even though autoload is enabled. What happened? Did I do something when I had it save my RTF file on Jonah?

Mark Eddy
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
In fact there are two kinds of notes in BW 7. There are chapter notes and verse notes. So you have to remember which kind you are using.
If there was a shutdown problem, you should have seen a screen that offered you four options, one of which is to let the operating system handle the shut-down problem, in which case none of your settings made during that session would be saved. Another option is to re-start using the default settings. Either of these has the effect similar to what you describe.
Once you set BW7 up again, before you go too far, you may want to shut down BibleWorks in order to save the settings. Then go to your Windows folder and find the BW700.ini file and save it to another location. Then if you should have this problem again you can copy your saved BW700.ini file back into the Windows folder, and many of your settings will come back, rather than having to change them manually from the default initialization file.
I hope this helps a little.
Mark Eddy

MBD
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I always use BW 7 verse notes. I am throughly confused. When I invoke the editor, I get RTF? And these are saved in a different location? Are they compatible with regular verse notes? If not, we are worse off with two editors than before with one hobbled one (BW 6).

Since Notes is one of the major functions I use BW 7 for, I want to be sure I understand what is happening before investing any more time. I know that everybody bashes Microsoft, but I do wish they could have incorporated Windows 2003 as the note format instead of RTF. I don't find RTF all that rich. It would be nice if opening the editor just opened a version of Word in a window.

Now I have to find out why BW 7 is not finding my notes.

Also if I opted for unicode export, would that affect all notes even those done on BW 6? So much I want to know about NOTES which is not easily accessible.
Michael

Michael Hanel
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I always use BW 7 verse notes. I am throughly confused. When I invoke the editor, I get RTF? And these are saved in a different location? Are they compatible with regular verse notes? If not, we are worse off with two editors than before with one hobbled one (BW 6).

Since Notes is one of the major functions I use BW 7 for, I want to be sure I understand what is happening before investing any more time. I know that everybody bashes Microsoft, but I do wish they could have incorporated Windows 2003 as the note format instead of RTF. I don't find RTF all that rich. It would be nice if opening the editor just opened a version of Word in a window.

Now I have to find out why BW 7 is not finding my notes.

Also if I opted for unicode export, would that affect all notes even those done on BW 6? So much I want to know about NOTES which is not easily accessible.
Michael
I'm sorry, but I'm having a little difficulty following your thought.

1. The editors (either BW6 or BW7, it doesn't matter) have always used RTF file format. This is to make your notes as universal as possible, working in Wordpad, Word and other major word processing programs.

2. BibleWorks generally saves the editor files with a .BWW extension to help you keep track of these files separately from any .RTF files you may have on your computer. The file is exactly the same whether it has .RTF or .BWW at the end of it. You can open any .RTF file in the BW editor and it would work. In the same way you could open any .BWW file in a generic editor (Wordpad) and it would also work. These are not mutually exclusive.

3. User Notes usually work best in the User Notes Tab in the Resource Window. You can tell this tab where you want User notes stored or used. So if you had BW6 user notes in some directory and you want to keep that same place for BW7, you can tell BW7 to do that. No new changes needed.

4. This might be the confusing part, but the Editor is different than the User Notes tab. Essentially the User Notes tab is used just for making notes and it auto-saves and does all of that real quick and handy like. The Editor is more generalized used for whatever purposes you want. For instance I have user notes going in the User Notes tab, but in the Editor I'm writing my Bible Study from those notes.

5. The Editor used in the tab has its own little wrench which you can click on to set its options. If however you use the FLOATING Editor, by default this Editor's options are not the same as the Editor used in the tab. A little confusing? At first maybe, but I guess the rationale is that people may wish to use different Editors for different purposes. In any event, if you want them to be exactly the same it would only take about 2 minutes to do that (there aren't that many options).

6. If the RTF doesn't work for you, definitely feel free to use a different word processor or whatever. You can simply adjust window sizes and such to put it on your screen. But RTF was done for the most universality and probably because RTF can do some very powerful things which are helpful for editing, but ultimately BW isn't a Word processing program so you can't expect it to do everything Word can, that'd be far too demanding. However if you wish you can take things you write from Editor, copy them into Word and format or save them how you will.

(what sounds like was happening in your first question is that you were using the Editor, not the User Notes Tab. You can indeed use the Editor, but then when you go to save, you just have to remember where you're saving all of your notes and save it in the proper format. Using the User Notes tab, once you have it set up to the proper directory would save you this stress ~ does that make sense?)