PDA

View Full Version : Numbers in Scripture

NumberMan™
03-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Anyone know of a web page that has detailed stats on every number mentioned in the scriptures.

It would be nice to have that kind of information. Would even be a nice Bible Works feature.

Thanks for any tips

Michael Hanel
03-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Anyone know of a web page that has detailed stats on every number mentioned in the scriptures.

It would be nice to have that kind of information. Would even be a nice Bible Works feature.

Thanks for any tips

Can't really speak to the first question, but on the second, you would run into some problems finding this because of all the potential ways it could occur. Do you mean cardinal or ordinal? Not all translations would use numbers (1, 2, 3), some might spell it out, etc. So it is theoretically possible, but it would require a lot of work to develop your list unless some book has already treated it, which leads me back to the first question again whose answer I do not know :)

NumberMan™
03-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes I mean both spelled and used as numeral then listed. I would treat spelled the same as I would literal, but make a note of it.

How many times "7" or "seven" occurs and tagged with link to verse etc..

The possibility of searching per book or all books etc... I would rather have the Hebrew or Greek of course not the translations usage of spelled or written. Numbers are used in prophecy and in other ways such as 153 fish etc..

Both Hebrew and Greek spell out each numeral if I'm not mistaken?

It seems to be a must have as far as data to access.

Michael Hanel
03-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Suddenly your alias name makes sense :p You are right if you want to do this by Greek and Hebrew. No numbers there, it's all spelled out. Although it might be interesting to go back beyond BibleWorks and check out manuscripts. The numbers are spelled out in BGT and such, but I kind of thought they were originally written merely by using the Greek alphabet alpha being one, beta two, etc. But that might be a whole different game for you.

Joshua Luna
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Not a website, but Bullinger put out a book called, "Number in Scripture" although I it is one of those books that requires more "gleaning" than quoting because of the methodology. But it does proceed number by number with a fairly heavy survey of their occurances.

NumberMan™
03-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I guess I'll take a stab at it and make an excel list that I can upload to my site.

For "One" I would need Hebrew and Greek (NT occurances only for Greek "One")
For "First" same thing

I just think it would be an interesting list to have and if all else fails you will never wonder anymore. Sounds like an undertaking but the search results in Bible Works should speed up the process.