PDA

View Full Version : Import formatting problems with version y

Bill Moore
03-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I just downloaded BW update 7.0.012y, hoping it would solve the extra blank lines between the reference and the text when I imported verses into Nota Bene or WordPerfect (you don't really expect me to use MSWord, do you? :)).

Sadly, in NB only the first verse of a requested passage is imported, though the initial reference includes all the verses. Evidently the rtf issues which were worked out for Word created other issues for NB.

Example:

Genesis 3:17-19

ESV 17 And to Adam he said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, 'You shall not eat of it,' cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;

Also, the blank lines remain.

In WordPerfect, though, I get the entire passage requested but with the additional (unrequested) blanks lines.

Example:

Genesis 3:17-19

ESV 17 And to Adam he said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, 'You shall not eat of it,' cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; 18 thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field. 19 By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

Okay, I relented and tried it with MSWord (I use Word only when I have to!). I got the same result as with WP.

So, what to do? Is there some option I'm missing. The Nota Bene problem is really exasperating because that is my primary word processing program. Surely we can get the finest Bible software program to work with the finest academic word processing progran, can't we? ;)

Bill

Bill Moore
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Also, now when I attempt to import Scripture from BW 7 to Nota Bene, I have to hit ALT-Tab to be able to work on my NB document. Some change in version 7, obviously, created these anomalies. Version 6 imported with no problems.

Bill

Michael Burer
03-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Bill: I'm not sure how many BW users also use NB, but I love it. I also have some problems, so let's get on the same page and see if we can figure this out. If not, we can at least help Mike and Co. with some more exact information.

What version of NB are you using? I am on 8.0y Beta.

You are using 12y of BW, as am I.

What are the exact steps you take, and exactly what happens?
Here's two scenarios I've seen.

I have saved my NB doc as "test doc.nb." In NB I hit Ctrl-Shft-b which calls up the Popup Copy Window. I ask for Ps 149:3 in the NET to be pasted, and nothing happens. I confirm this through codes view: nothing at all has been added.
The result is slightly different when I use the copy center. When I do that, BW inserts a left-to-right orientation command (LR1) and then a line return, but nothing else.

Does this match what you have seen?

Michael Burer
Dallas Theological Seminary

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Bill: I'm not sure how many BW users also use NB,...

I'm using NB Beta 8.0z and have similar problems.

Using BW 7.0 and using <ctrl-shft-b> from within NB, I get nothing inserted in my NB document, although <ctrl-v> will insert the requested text as though I had used the copy center from within BW. It worked that way in BW 6.0 too; however, if I left the screen on rather than closing it and just typed in the new reference the inserts would work thereafter without <ctrl-v>. If I closed it, then the first <ctrl-shft-b> required a <ctrl-v> again. But now, I have to <ctrl-v> even if I leave the screen up after the first copy inside NB.

Bill Moore
03-15-2006, 09:54 PM
I keep the Popup Copy Window in the upper right hand corner of my document, usually sermon outlines or lecture notes. It tucks nicely and out of the way there.

I use NB 7.0b and now have updated to BW 7.0.013a.

From the PCW under BW 6, I could enter the reference for whatever translation I desired and would have the verse or verses nicely laid out in NB.

With BW 7, I was having an additional 2 blank lines between the reference and the verse or verses. With the last two updates, however, I only get the reference and verse when only one verse is requested or only the first verse when more than one verse is requested. For instance, a request for Genesis 3:17-19 will produce the reference requested and verse 17 only of the text.

In addition, I have to press ALT-Tab to cycle out of BW back to my NB document.

With WordPerfect, I am still getting the reference heading, two blank lines, and the verse or verses requested.

Michael, from the Popup Copy Window, I enter the reference(s) requested, press enter, and the reference and verse is entered in my NB document as I recounted above. However, I have to press ALT-Tab twice to cycle the display back to my NB document, something I did not have to do with BW 6 and do not have to do with WP and BW 7.

Glad to have the input from you two.

Bill

MBushell
03-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Try 13b which I just posted.
This discussion probably belongs in a previous thread. It makes it easier for people to follow.
Mike