PDA

View Full Version : BW 7 - Transfering BW Settings?

Roger Horning
03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I recently made some setting changes to the layout of the tool bar in BW (adding, subtracting, ordering icons, etc.)

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer those settings to my other computer. I tried to copy the BW700.ini file but that did not seem to carry the changes over.

Any suggestions?

Roger

Dogfish Jones
03-17-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd like to know as well...with BW7 being as customizable as it is, I've made a ton of changes on my laptop and would like to have my desktop act the same way.

Michael Hanel
03-17-2006, 09:45 PM
I imagine it would take a bit of playing to figure it all out, but it should be possible.

I see the Windows directory also contains a file Bw7Dir.ini
In Bibleworks7 there is the file bwedit.ini

Transfer those over as well and see what happens. We still might be missing a file or two....

jim.dvorak
03-18-2006, 01:24 PM
I just moved everything to a new computer. I reset all my settings manually, but lost my unlocked modules. How do I get the unlock codes without purchasing them again? There does not appear to be a history of sales on the BW Web site under my account.

:confused:

Mark Eddy
03-18-2006, 04:47 PM
I just moved everything to a new computer. I reset all my settings manually, but lost my unlocked modules. How do I get the unlock codes without purchasing them again? There does not appear to be a history of sales on the BW Web site under my account.

:confused:
If you didn't totally delete the BibleWorks 6 or 7 directory from your old computer, the unclock codes will be in the "init" folder within BibleWorks 6 or 7 (or 5 for that matter). You can copy those files to disk and install them in the "init" folder in the BibleWorks directory of your new computer.
If you don't have those, that's why BibleWorks tells you to write down your codes when you get them. I wrote them on my BW6 manual. For BW7 I wrote them all down on the stiff card that came with the disks.
If you received your unlock codes via e-mail, if you saved the e-mail on your coputer, you could search your old e-mails to find the unlock codes too.
I hope one of these helps.
Mark Eddy

Dogfish Jones
03-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I recently made some setting changes to the layout of the tool bar in BW (adding, subtracting, ordering icons, etc.)

I was wondering if there was a way to transfer those settings to my other computer. I tried to copy the BW700.ini file but that did not seem to carry the changes over.

Any suggestions?

RogerBack to the original question...

Roger Horning
03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I copied the "bw700.ini, bw7dir.ini" files in the Windows directory. I also copied every ".ini" file in the "Bibleworks7" and the toolbar settings were not transfered. Any other ideas?

I am sure there is a file somewhere that contains that information the question is, which one.

Roger

Roger Horning
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
OK. This is what I have found out. If I delete my bw700.ini file. I loose all button bar configuration. However, backing up the bw700.ini file and restoring it brings back all of my other settings but not the button bar settings.

So the short of it is that it seems like customizing the button bar is kind of a waist of time in that it is so easy to loose the settings.:(

I emailed the support staff about transfering the settings to another computer and was told I would just need to set the buton bar up again so no help there.:confused:

It doesn't make sense to me and I was wondering, has anyone else lost the settings to their button bar or is it just me?

Roger

Mark Eddy
03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
It doesn't make sense to me and I was wondering, has anyone else lost the settings to their button bar or is it just me?

Roger
No, it's not just you.
ME too

guilford
03-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I've also lost my button bar settings and had to redo them. I wish there was some file/place where this was stored so we could make and restore backups when things go bad. In the interim I've taken a screen shot of the toolbar the way I want it to be to aid in redoing it when things go wrong.