PDA

View Full Version : Unicode: bug or my setup problems?

Doug Chaplin
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Is there something wrong with unicode in the BW7 editor. I was using Windows Greek Polytonic keyboard, and Palatino Linotype. Everytime I tried the key combinations for producing letters with accents and breathings the BW editor puts question marks. In MS Word the keyboard setup works perfectly to type these. Has anyone else had this problem, or got any ideas?
Also, does anyone know if BW7 unicode works with Keyman keyboard layouts?

MGVH
03-02-2006, 06:41 PM
I had observed exactly the same behavior as you note.
I also prefer to use the built in Windows keyboards, and it works great in MSWord. I suspect, however, that BW7 is not Unicode compliant within the program since it still works with the BW TrueType fonts within the program.

I do also use Taultesoft Keyman as a fall back, and it does work correctly within BW7.

pgons
03-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I get the same thing. I'm using the Logos Greek keyboard with Gentium.

Doug Chaplin
03-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for this confirmation that it's not just me. I suspect for the time being I'll use the BW true type fonts and concert to Unicode on export -- which does seem to work perfectly well.
It is a bit annoying though: Unicode support was one of the reasons I upgraded!
:(

MBushell
03-04-2006, 03:08 AM
I spent several hours today trying to figure this one out. For some reason the Polytonic Greek keyboard doesn't work right with the Richedit control. It does work in Wordpad which gives me hope that there is a solution. I've filed a problem report with Microsoft but it may be a couple of days before we get a meaningful response. We'll do our best to resolve this.
Thanks,
Mike

jltstigall
03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I am having the same issue with the Greek Classical Keyboard. I have my languages running through the Windows language settings and can click CTRL+SHIFT to cycle through Unicode Hebrew-Greek and back to English. When I CTRL+SHIFT in the editor, I get stuck cycling through Greek and Hebrew, and accented Greek characters appear as boxes. The Biblical Hebrew SIL keyboard seems to work fine. Is there a shortcut key for Unicode Greek and Hebrew fonts in the editor?

Matt Hauger
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Is there a solution to this problem? I'd love to start taking translation-oriented notes in the User Notes editor, but the inability to enter unicode breathing marks or accents makes that a no go for me!

David Kummerow
01-30-2009, 01:46 AM
I use a slightly modified Tyndale House Greek keyboard.

Interestingly, I can type some key combiniations which are rendered in the BW Editor correctly. ἀ and ἁ work fine. ά and ὰ come out correctly also, but combined ἄ and ἅ come out as question marks. Iota subscript comes out as a question mark.

Regards,
David.

benelchi
01-30-2009, 01:47 AM
I have been using both the Greek and Hebrew Keyboards in the BW editor on the right side of the screen without any problem, even when including the Greek accents or the Hebrew vowel pointings. However, the Greek and Hebrew Keyboard support fails when using the search box on the left side of the screen. I can usually get the Hebrew keyboard to work correctly by leaving it in a caps lock state; but that doesn't always work. The Greek only works if you use an English keyboard for the Greek and the BW keyboard mapping which is slightly different from the Microsoft Greek mapping.

Matt Hauger
01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Any workaround for BW7 that would make entering unicode characters (i.e. accents and breathing marks) in the editor possible?

MGVH
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
The only thing I've found that I can count on is Tavultesoft Keyman (http://www.tavultesoft.com/keyman/)