PDA

View Full Version : What should I backup?

pingpongjedi
03-01-2006, 08:08 AM
What are the files that should be backed up regularly in BW7? For example, I know that c:\windows\bw700.ini and the notes directory, but what other files or directories should/could be backed up for a disaster recovery? I have a lot of user modules added in, and I wouldn't want to have to recompile everyone of them in case of disaster if possible.

Mark Eddy
03-01-2006, 12:08 PM
What are the files that should be backed up regularly in BW7? For example, I know that c:\windows\bw700.ini and the notes directory, but what other files or directories should/could be backed up for a disaster recovery? I have a lot of user modules added in, and I wouldn't want to have to recompile everyone of them in case of disaster if possible.
If the only "disaster" is a crash of BW, then backing up the bw700.ini file is sufficient.
But if "disaster" might me loss of the hard drive, or having to totally re-install BW7, then basically you want to back up all the files in BW7 that correspond to those files that were left in your BW6 directory when you deleted BW6 before you installed BW7 (assuming you did this, as BW suggests). Just open your BW6 folder in "My Computer" and take a look at what is in it.
So, you'll want to back up all user databases. I actually prefer to recompile them from the userdb file rather than copying the .dbu, .dbx, .vmf, .vmc, and .wdc files back into the databases file. But you can do that latter, as long as you realize that if you don't get exactly all of your databases back, your bw700.ini file will be rewritten to the default version order. If you want to save your verse history and word history files, you can do that too, but they change constantly. If you have altered your time line, you'll want to save that too. If you have custom synopsis files, save those too. If you made or downloaded any "ase" searches, you'll want to save those too. Be sure to save your "notes" file.
But again, basically just look back in your BW6 directory and see which files you had changed, and save the corresponding files from BW7 (though you won't need any of the "patches" or fonts).
I hope this points you in the right direction.
Mark Eddy

Stefan Green
03-02-2006, 01:03 AM
A good suggestion to BibleWorks could be to have a backup and restore command under File menu. In the wordprocessor Nota Bene (Ibidem) there are such commands, which are very valuable. Because of the developed functions in version 7 the need for smoother backup (to an external harddrive, cd-rom or floppy disk) and the possibility to restore the files to its correct place after a crash has increased a great deal. With such a commands you would not have to think about what files should be backed up, nor have to manually go into the cataloges to copy. Just launch the command and it is done!

What do you all think about this suggestion, is it worth suggesting it to BibleWorks?

Stefan Green

pingpongjedi
03-02-2006, 06:44 AM
That would be nice, but really just a list of files and/or directories would be enough for me. Most zip programs have command line options that accept a text files of what to zip up, so that would be sufficient for most people. From that, a shortcut on the desktop could backup everything required.

Unfortunately, I had already removed my BW6 directory by the time the first response came in, so I still don't know what exactly needs to be backed up.

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-02-2006, 07:10 AM
A good suggestion to BibleWorks could be to have a backup and restore command under File menu. In the wordprocessor Nota Bene (Ibidem) there are such commands, which are very valuable.

I absolutely agree with Stefan's suggestion, especially now that we have a stable notes and editor feature, which will prompt many more people to use it. I too use NotaBene and use that feature systematically. It should be integrated into BW's own system of file management.

pingpongjedi
03-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Here's an example that you might want to try:

1) Download 7-zip from www.7-zip.org (http://www.7-zip.org) and install it (it's free).

2) Copy the following to a file and name it bwbackup.bat

@echo off
set prog="c:\apps\7-zip\7z.exe"
set file_include="c:\apps\bwinclude.txt"
rem set file_exclude="c:\apps\bwexclude.txt"
set archive_name="c:\apps\bwbackup.zip"
rem set cmd=%prog% a -tzip %archive_name% -i@%file_include% -xr0@%file_exclude%
set cmd=%prog% a -tzip %archive_name% -i@%file_include%
echo %cmd%
@echo on
%cmd%

3) You will have to change the paths for some of the variables. For instance, I have 7zip installed in c:\apps. If you install it in Program Files, you'll need to change that path. I also have a file that lists all the files I need to backup in c:\apps\bwinclude.txt. If your file is named something different or you put it in another place, adjust the path accordingly. Also, the archive to be created is c:\apps\bwbackup.zip, so if you don't like it, change that as well.

4) Add a list of files or directories to the include file that should be backed up. Currently, my include files looks like this:

c:\documents and settings\pingpongjedi\My Documents\Bibleworks
c:\windows\bw*.ini

Note that I can use a wildcard ("*") for backing up the ini files.

5) You should be able to just double-click on the bat file to backup everything you have specified in the include file.

6) There is a known bug in 7-zip regarding file exclusion, so that part is currently commented out.

7) For BW integration, use the External Links Manager. You could even have another ELM entry to open the include file if you need to add more to it.

Once you set this up, all you have to maintain is the include file. What else should I put in it?

pingpongjedi
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, after all that, I suppose this would be even easier:

//
// External Link #29
//
[Backup]
Operation = Open
Directory = NULL
File = c:\apps\7-zip\7z.exe
Parameters = a -tzip c:\apps\bwbackup.zip -ir0@"c:\apps\bwinclude.txt"
MenuLocation = External Resources
TextType = NULL
MapToVersion = NULL
Lookup = NULL
MenuText = Backup
Enabled = 1

Glenn Weaver
03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Dear Richard,

In the Help file there is a list of user-created BW files that you will want to backup. You will also want to include your ini files (including the BW ini files in the Windows directory). If you have user-created versions, these will be .txt files, so you will want to backup those, as well. This will mean probably your entire userdb directory.

Here is the info from the Help file. If you have the Help file update, you can use the index to find Backing Up Files.

Glenn

Timeline Files (*.era and .tl)
GSE Searches (*.qf)
Verse List Files (*.vls)
Word List Files (*.iel)
Note Files (*.bww and *.rtf)
Book Name Alias Files (*.bna and books.dat for 4.0 installations)
Synopsis Files (*.sdf)
Database Definition Files (*.ddf)
Custom Verse Mapping Files (*.vmf, *.vmc)
Font Mapping Files (*.map)
Color Files (*.clr)
Diagrammer File (*.dgm)

pingpongjedi
03-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks, Glenn. It's amazing things you find in the help file when you look. :D