PDA

View Full Version : Reordering Lexicons in BW 7.0

Trajan
02-26-2006, 11:07 PM
I know that it was not possible in BW 6.0 to reorder the Lexicons in the Lexicon browser in a different order (e.g. HALOT first, BDB second, etc.)

Is this now possible in BW 7.0?

Mark Eddy
02-27-2006, 05:26 PM
To this point in BW7 you can have only one Hebrew lexicon in your Lexicon Browser at a time, so you cannot change the order, just change which is your default lexicon. You also cannot change the order of lexicons in the Analysis Window, even though it can display all the Greek lexicons. You can choose your default Greek lexicon, and it will display at the top of the Lexicons in the Analysis Window. But the order of lexicons in the Resource Summary Window cannot be changed, at least not yet.
Mark Eddy

Trajan
02-27-2006, 07:34 PM
To this point in BW7 you can have only one Hebrew lexicon in your Lexicon Browser at a time, so you cannot change the order, just change which is your default lexicon. You also cannot change the order of lexicons in the Analysis Window, even though it can display all the Greek lexicons. You can choose your default Greek lexicon, and it will display at the top of the Lexicons in the Analysis Window. But the order of lexicons in the Resource Summary Window cannot be changed, at least not yet.
Mark Eddy

Got it. I guess I am surprised. It did not occur in BW 6, and I would not think that it would be a big undertaking to allow sorting of the lexicon entries (after all, the Bible versions order is completely customizable).

I would just encourage BW to think about a fix for this. To be honest, it makes me less likely to buy lexical add-in products (like TDNT) since in the right window (which is where I view most of the lexical information because of that great and fast BW function) it would get buried under a list of lexicons, several of which are relatively redundent (GING and Friberg come to mind).

Glenn Weaver
02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
If you Resource Summary Window becomes too cluttered for you, or if there are certain lexicons, grammars, etc. that you never use, you can uncheck the unused items in the tabs under the Resource Summary tab in the Analysis Window.

Glenn

Trajan
02-28-2006, 05:42 PM
This doesn't help. The ordering here, to be frank, is crazy. It makes no sense at all, and you can't change it. The more I use it, the more frustrating it is. Even if I remove lexicons from the Resource Summary tab, they still appear in the "Word Analysis Tab." So removing lexicons only helps for the Resource Summary-->Summary tab structure. It does nothing for the Word Anaylsis tab at all. Those entries appear completely static.

To make matters worse, the Resource Summary-->Summary tab structure is completely out of whack for OT Hebrew. The order -- which I cannot change when a Hebrew word is highlighted is:

TWOT
Thayer's Greek Lexicon!
BDAG!
BDB
then HALOT

What is up with that? Why would I want a reference to an LXX word in BDAG when I am trying to find out about a Hebrew word?!?
Of course I could uncheck and check BDAG and Thayer every single time that I go back and forth from OT to NT, but hopefully all can see the completely unworkable nature of this. It is, honestly, foolish. I should be able ot set the order just as I can the Bible versions.

When a Hebrew word is moused over, it should show HALOT, BDB, TWOT, followed by the LXX references etc. Then when I mouse over a Greek word, it should start with BDAG, then other lexicons.

After all - you have to PAY for BDAG and HALOT. Why would I want it buried at the bottom of my window? I'm getting more frustrated just typing this.

Ugh.

jakemccarty
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
I agree that I'm not fond of the natural ordering and I too think BW's should allow one to reorder it. Because the resources that I use most often are located at the bottom, I've simply unchecked all the other fine resources. Many fine lexicons have become as valuable to me as M. Henry's commentary. And what's worse: Hebrew will always be at the bottom!

I'm already disappointed that we can't use two lexicons (like Greek) and now the stuff I like to use sits forever at the bottom... So much for encouraging OT study.

This would definitely be a worthy enterprise for BW, but I wouldn't count on it.

Trajan
02-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I agree that I'm not fond of the natural ordering and I too think BW's should allow one to reorder it. Because the resources that I use most often are located at the bottom, I've simply unchecked all the other fine resources. Many fine lexicons have become as valuable to me as M. Henry's commentary. And what's worse: Hebrew will always be at the bottom!

I'm already disappointed that we can't use two lexicons (like Greek) and now the stuff I like to use sits forever at the bottom... So much for encouraging OT study.

This would definitely be a worthy enterprise for BW, but I wouldn't count on it.

But this is the part I don't understand. If BW can set up the version order, with dozens of versions, why can't I set up this order. It would appear that the coding would not be that difficult.

I know I am really beating a drum here, but it seems so important (as you point out) to have good use of lexicons for original language study (which after all is what BW is for) and it seems like (and I could be wrong) so little effort required.

Ben Spackman
02-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I'd second this. It stinks having Hebrew/Aramaic stuck at the bottom, when it's predominantly what I use. However, I don't turn off all the greek lexica because I do NT work as well. Just not as much.

Stefan Green
02-28-2006, 06:45 PM
I also agree with former speakers that the possibility to decide the order of the resources youself is important. To be able to streamline BW to fit my preferences and focus of study is neccesary. However, I would not count out the staff of Bible Works on this issue. They have shown before many times the willingness to give us what we need.

Stefan Green

Trajan
02-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I also agree with former speakers that the possibility to decide the order of the resources youself is important. To be able to streamline BW to fit my preferences and focus of study is neccesary. However, I would not count out the staff of Bible Works on this issue. They have shown before many times the willingness to give us what we need.

Stefan Green

Stefan,

I agree. That is why: (1) I am so surprised at the obvious lack of functionality here, and (2) I am beating my drum. The BW staff has an excellent reputation of improving functions in a practical manner.

Adamsen
03-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Stefan,

I agree. That is why: (1) I am so surprised at the obvious lack of functionality here, and (2) I am beating my drum. The BW staff has an excellent reputation of improving functions in a practical manner.

I would hope, too, that they will put it on the very top of their To-Do-list. Indeed, having used BW for more than ten years, I know that they listen carefully to customers. Besides, even though it is somewhat inconvenient, BW7 is still a great improvement, and Bibleworks will make it even better, as soon as they have time.

Georg

Dale A. Brueggemann
03-01-2006, 06:22 AM
When a Hebrew word is moused over, it should show HALOT, BDB, TWOT, followed by the LXX references etc. Then when I mouse over a Greek word, it should start with BDAG, then other lexicons.

Gotta agree with this!

MBushell
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
This is an issue that is on our list and we will get to it as soon as we can. Those of you who have been with us a while know that we add features and change them over time due to input from users. Often we add a feature that over time gets cluttered or complicated because of a long series of additions and improvements, and we have to rework things. It is a normal part of development and interaction with users. I don't think anyone who has been with us for more thn a version would say (or should say) "don't count on it."

Just one word of advice. We are human beings like you, brothers in the Lord. We respond better to requests and reasoned appeal than whining. I understand the frustration but this is not the end of the world. We agree that this needs to be changed and it will be changed in due course. Our top priority is fixing bugs, especially the few remaining crash bugs. Then we have several modules that are promised for this and the next quarter. But we will try to work this in. Remember that patience is a gift of the Spirit :-)

God bless,
Mike

Michael Hanel
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Just one word of advice. We are human beings like you, brothers in the Lord. We respond better to requests and reasoned appeal than whining. I understand the frustration but this is not the end of the world. We agree that this needs to be changed and it will be changed in due course. Our top priority is fixing bugs, especially the few remaining crash bugs. Then we have several modules that are promised for this and the next quarter. But we will try to work this in. Remember that patience is a gift of the Spirit :-)

God bless,
Mike

Amen to that. Pastors know all too well what you mean! I hope they offer you the same patience they would wish to see in the people they serve.

Trajan
04-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Bibleworks staff!!!

The latest update fixes this problem and makes the Resource Window much easier and efficient to use.

I cannot say that enough.

Steve Watkins
04-19-2006, 03:17 PM
Which version contains this update? I have the most recent (as of this morning) - 7.0.014b - and I see no difference in the Analysis window functionality. The preview is, apparently, no longer available. How do I gain these improvements?

Adelphos
04-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Which version contains this update? I have the most recent (as of this morning) - 7.0.014b - and I see no difference in the Analysis window functionality. The preview is, apparently, no longer available. How do I gain these improvements?

When you're in the Resourses Tab, go to the various other tabs, i.e., lexicons, etc., and at the bottom you will see arrows. You can select the order you want, etc. Read the help file for a full explanation.

Michael Hanel
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM

These improvements are in 14b. There is no preview version because as BW staffers have determined, the fix is stable enough that there is no need for the preview.

If you click on the tab Resource Summary in the right tiered portion of BW, you can then click on the sub-tabs "Lexicons" "Grammars" "References" and "Options" If you do this you should see at the very bottom of this part of the screen two options "Select all" "Clear all" as well as the up and down arrows. The up and down arrows control where in the ordered list a specific resource is seen. However at present you cannot cross the "Greek" and "Hebrew" barrier, i.e. you cannot make Holladay appear before Liddell Scott.

Steve Watkins
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks, gents! If it were a snake, it would've bitten me! Looking in the wrong place.

dmiller
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
This is a great change. Thank you!

Now...would be possible to select different lexica for different Bible tabs? For example, I'd like to set up Bible tab #1 for Greek study with BDAG, Louw and Nida, etc., as my preferred resources (no Hebrew lexica are necessary here). I would then reserve Bible tab #2 for Hebrew Bible study and choose HALOT, followed by BDB and LEH as my preferred lexica. Tab #3 could be for LXX study with LEH as my primary lexicon followed by Liddell & Scott and BDAG.

David

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Bibleworks staff!!!

The latest update fixes this problem and makes the Resource Window much easier and efficient to use.

I cannot say that enough.

Michael Hanel
04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
This is a great change. Thank you!

Now...would be possible to select different lexica for different Bible tabs? For example, I'd like to set up Bible tab #1 for Greek study with BDAG, Louw and Nida, etc., as my preferred resources (no Hebrew lexica are necessary here). I would then reserve Bible tab #2 for Hebrew Bible study and choose HALOT, followed by BDB and LEH as my preferred lexica. Tab #3 could be for LXX study with LEH as my primary lexicon followed by Liddell & Scott and BDAG.

David

That is not currently possible, however you can email the BW suggestion box. I'm sure it's just a matter of if it is possible (or easy) to tie that code (the Resource Summary window info) into specific tabs. That's something only the programmers would know, but I do like your idea!

Christopher
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM
This must seem a stupid question, but how do you change the default lexicon? I just popped for BDAG/HALOT and want them to appear in the Word Analysis screen. Thanks.
Christopher

Mark Eddy

Christopher
05-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Never mind, I found it...:D
Right click while in the analysis window [for anyone else who, like me, couldn't figure it out...]