PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlinking in Notes

tfjern
02-25-2006, 07:32 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to do this in BW7, though I have a gut feeling that I'm just too dim to see something that's staring me right in the face.

Let's say I'm in Gen 1:4 and I have a note window open for that verse. I want to insert a hyperlink to, say, Jer 4:5 in the note window for Gen 1:4. The hyperlink should appear as follows: Jer 4:5.

Then when I hover my mouse over this hyperlink, the Jeremiah verse will pop up (in it's own window, one of the great new features in BW7). The reason I want to do this (instead of simply inserting Jer 4:5 into the note) is because the popup verse will be my own English translation, which I will edit, revise, and tweak as time goes on (using the Version Database Compiler). Could someone please give this poor soul some help here? :confused:

Adamsen
02-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I like BW 7 very much! For example, the editor's Insert link function. However, I cannot understand why BW 7 constantly refers to "Wallace, Exegetical Syntax of the NT", as its titel is, as its correct title is "Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics" according to the Coverpage and the colophon while "Exegetical Syntax of the NT" is its subtitle. I have to handedit all inserted links to correct this. The subtitle is also used in the Resource Summary.

Would it be possible to correct this?

Georg
---
Dr. Georg S. Adamsen
Denmark

Adamsen
02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry I should have created a new thread. Which I have now done. Georg

tfjern
02-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks a lot, Georg! :mad:

Michael Hanel
02-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to do this in BW7, though I have a gut feeling that I'm just too dim to see something that's staring me right in the face.

Let's say I'm in Gen 1:4 and I have a note window open for that verse. I want to insert a hyperlink to, say, Jer 4:5 in the note window for Gen 1:4. The hyperlink should appear as follows: Jer 4:5.

Then when I hover my mouse over this hyperlink, the Jeremiah verse will pop up (in it's own window, one of the great new features in BW7). The reason I want to do this (instead of simply inserting Jer 4:5 into the note) is because the popup verse will be my own English translation, which I will edit, revise, and tweak as time goes on (using the Version Database Compiler). Could someone please give this poor soul some help here? :confused:

Which specific step of this process are you needing help in?

tfjern
02-25-2006, 09:25 AM
It simply does not work, namely, inserting hyperlinks into notes -- as I explained at length in the post that opened this thread.

tfjern
02-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I figured it out, but I did so through trial and error, and not by reading the sketchy help file.

jdarlack
02-25-2006, 09:37 AM

In your notes, type the reference you would like to have "pop up".
With your cursor highlight/select the reference you just typed.
On your keyboard press "Ctrl K".
Modify the link that is shown in the dialog box to the reference you wish to have in the pop up. (By default the reference to the current Browse Window verse is inserted). If you take your notes off of "auto load" this is even easier:
Load your notes for Gen 1:4 (or whatever passage you want to load notes for).
Navigate to the passage for which you would like to insert a pop up.
Click the down arrow in the link button (see attached illust.) and select "insert current verse as link."
Voila! A link to that verse appears in your notes.

tfjern
02-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Jim, but the problem that might confuse people (or at least dumbbells like myself) is the "Link Text" box itself (which merely shows the current verse). It would be much better to have the "Link Text" box show the verse that has just been selected for hyperlinking, don't you think?

jdarlack
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Jim, but the problem that might confuse people (or at least dumbbells like myself) is the "Link Text" box itself (which merely shows the current verse). It would be much better to have the "Link Text" box show the verse that has just been selected for hyperlinking, don't you think?I imagine the problem might be with how folks abbreviate a book name in their notes. If, for instance, someone types "Jas 1:5" (Jas being a standard abbrev. for James), BibleWorks would not necessarily recognize it, as the book name is "Jam". On the other hand, I think this could be perhaps an option in the dropdown link menu that users could use if they are careful about the abbreviations they use. Make a suggestion to BW to do this! I know their plate is full right now, but it might make it to the "to do" list.

tfjern
02-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Jim, this only works when in Editor, not Notes. I forgot that I was in Editor, when I should have been hyperlinking in Notes. Check out the "Link Text" box in both Notes and Editor and you'll see what I mean.

tfjern
02-25-2006, 10:10 AM
What you have to do is go to Editor, pop up the "Add Link to Select Text," go down to the "Link Text" box, copy all the data there ("... POPUP"), then go to Notes, type in the desired verse, select it, pop up the "Add Link to Select Text," go to Link Text box, and paste what was copied from Editor. Then change the verse to the desired destination. Talk about Rube Goldbergeon.

jdarlack
02-25-2006, 10:20 AM
What you have to do is go to Editor, pop up the "Add Link to Select Text," go down to the "Link Text" box, copy all the data there ("... POPUP"), then go to Notes, type in the desired verse, select it, pop up the "Add Link to Select Text," go to Link Text box, and paste what was copied from Editor. Then change the verse to the desired destination. Talk about Rube Goldbergeon.I don't get what you're saying. I can add a link the same way for both the notes and the editor. Do you have the full toolbar showing for the notes? If not, then click the first tool on the toolbar. It toggles all of the buttons. Nothing Rube Goldbergian about it. :)

tfjern
02-25-2006, 11:24 AM
The problem seems to be with the "Link Text" box (see attached jpegs one (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172&stc=1&d=1140880822)and two (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&stc=1&d=1140880839)). Once the contents in the box is removed, the hyperlinking works. Would be nice if the contents in the Link Text box reflected the contents of the selected text.

Ben Spackman
02-25-2006, 12:22 PM
The text in the "link text" box retains the last link code you created.

It sounds to me that you're not actually doing anything wrong nor is the program doing anything buggy. You're just entering a complaint about how it functions, is that correct?

tfjern
02-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Complain? Heaven forbid! I'm still fiddling around with BW7, testing it here and there, trying out this new feature and taht, and you're probably right, it's not a bug, just the result of my inexperience. We'll see.

Stefan Green
02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
There is one thing I still do not understand regarding links into Users Notes: How do I link range of verses, for example Joh 10:19-21? So far I have just been able to link Joh 10:19. Is it possible to only link single verses?

Stefan Green

Stefan Green
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Hello again

I figured out one way to link more than a single verse, but it seems a little bit complicated: I typed Joh 10:19-21, marked it and then Ctrl K. In the dialogbox I edited Link Text "GOTOVERSE NAU Joh 10:19 | POPUP" to "GOTOVERSE NAU Joh 10:19-21 | POPUP". Then click on "Insert in Document".

If I then click the hyperlink in my user notes, Joh 10:19-21 appears correctly in the Browse Window, but still when I hover over the link with the pointer I get Joh 10:19.

Is there a solution to this?

Stefan Green

Michael Hanel
02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Hello again

I figured out one way to link more than a single verse, but it seems a little bit complicated: I typed Joh 10:19-21, marked it and then Ctrl K. In the dialogbox I edited Link Text "GOTOVERSE NAU Joh 10:19 | POPUP" to "GOTOVERSE NAU Joh 10:19-21 | POPUP". Then click on "Insert in Document".

If I then click the hyperlink in my user notes, Joh 10:19-21 appears correctly in the Browse Window, but still when I hover over the link with the pointer I get Joh 10:19.

Is there a solution to this?

Stefan Green

I don't know what's not right with yours, but something isn't. That link should work and it does work in mine correctly.... You have everything updated?

Stefan Green
02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't know what's not right with yours, but something isn't. That link should work and it does work in mine correctly.... You have everything updated?

I have q.

It seems to work smoother now after having tried it a few times. I write Joh 10:19-21, mark it, Ctrl+K and the correct vers range is in the "Link Text". I click "Insert in Document" and click the link and correct vers range appears in the Browse Window. However, still if I am hovering over link only vers 19 appears.

That seems to be the only way it works for me. If I use the button "Add/Modify Hypertext Link" ("Insert current verse as link"), having Joh 10:19-21 in the Browse Window, I only get the hyperlink Joh 10:19 (the first verse in the range). But maybe I am doing something wrong even if it seems to be pretty straight forward.

Stefan Green

tfjern
02-25-2006, 08:11 PM
I finally got this fabulous BW7 feature to work properly, though we should ask Mike and the BW staff to make a few tweaks, merely for the sake of convenience. Namely, when in Notes, after we (1) type in the verse(s), (2) select the verse(s), and (3) press Control+K, it would be nice if the Link Text box contained the contents of the selection we just made. This convenience would save us a few typing strokes. Just a thought.

ger0
02-25-2006, 08:12 PM
I have a similar problem: As an example, I have in Gen 1:1 the versenote:
Creation 1: Gen 1:1-2:3
Creation 2: Gen 2:4b-25 (forget the "b")

When I hyperlink both, there are three 'funnies':
1) The popup is displayed on the left side and falls off my screen;
2) I see only 8 verses (Gen 2:4-12 [ indeed; I left the 'b' out of the hyperlink]);
3) I only see the WTT, whereas when I hover over a verse in "Word Analysis" I see both WTT and BGT (since I parameterized it that way)

ger0
02-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I have a similar problem: As an example, I have in Gen 1:1 the versenote:
Creation 1: Gen 1:1-2:3
Creation 2: Gen 2:4b-25 (forget the "b")

When I hyperlink both, there are three 'funnies':
1) The popup is displayed on the left side and falls off my screen;
2) I see only 8 verses (Gen 2:4-12 [ indeed; I left the 'b' out of the hyperlink]);
3) I only see the WTT, whereas when I hover over a verse in "Word Analysis" I see both WTT and BGT (since I parameterized it that way)

and why on earth I am kicked out of the forum before I can put my name underneath my reply is a bigger enigma than the creation itself... :)

Gert