PDA

View Full Version : Speech / Voice Recognition in BW

tfjern
02-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I suppose this could be posted in the "Ideas for Future Development" thread, but I am curious as to why others have not pestered Mike and the BW staff about adding a feature that would eliminate one of the most unnecessarily tedious activities when using BibleWorks or similar programs: namely, having to time and again type in Bible verses (and introducing this feature might perhaps alleviate some of paster-steve's frustrations mentioned in other threads). Using the BW's book/chapter/verse drop-down boxes is also just about as cumbersome and annoying (my, haven't we gotten spoiled!). There is a much better way of doing this.

Speech / Voice Recognition software has improved dramatically over the past five years, and will soon approach the accuracy and usability of Optical Character Recognition software. I am currently using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 8.0 (after some training it is remarkably accurate), and it's obvious that using this technology would eliminate a lot of the tedium involved when using repetitive tasks in BWs, so I was wondering if Mike and the BW staff have thought of incorporating Speech Recognition as a future function in BW. Just curious.

Ben Spackman
02-24-2006, 08:30 PM
I think that would be pretty cool. The next release of Windows, Vista, will have voice recognition built in to it (at least, that's the plan at this point.)

Ben Spackman
02-28-2006, 09:17 AM
From ExtremeTech (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931917,00.asp)-

Windows Vista will include a built-in speech recognition engine, and new and improved speech synthesis. Assuming it works as well as it should, you'll be able to dictate emails or give voice commands for web navigations without buying additional speech recognition software.