PDA

View Full Version : BW 7 I am totally lost

MBD
02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I was a BW 6 user but am quite lost with BW 7 which I have just received and installed. I have no clue what the left window does. It seems everything important is in the middle window. Ther left window seems spell bound by Genesis no matter what I call up in the middle window.

I had hoped we would get a manual, but alas.

Also I had saved my notes folder so that it would not get deleted when I uninstalled BW 6. Then I moved that folder into BW 7 but cannot access any of my verse notes in BW 7. What do I do?
:mad:
Please tell me this program will be more intuitive than BW 6.

Michael Hanel
02-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I was a BW 6 user but am quite lost with BW 7 which I have just received and installed. I have no clue what the left window does. It seems everything important is in the middle window. Ther left window seems spell bound by Genesis no matter what I call up in the middle window.

I had hoped we would get a manual, but alas.

Also I had saved my notes folder so that it would not get deleted when I uninstalled BW 6. Then I moved that folder into BW 7 but cannot access any of my verse notes in BW 7. What do I do?
:mad:
Please tell me this program will be more intuitive than BW 6.

Have you watched any of the introductory videos? That seems to be the best place for you to start since you appear so lost. In the Help Menu go to "Getting Started" The second place to go might be to the one called "Study Guides" which will be available through the Getting Started page or else simply through the Help. Also if you continue to be lost, put your mouse in the place you're lost and press F1, that sends you to help section relevant to whatever you're touching. There is no printed manual but under Help the Online help contents will tell you everything a manual did.

It is hard to say what is wrong with your notes. The first place to always start would be in the Tab marked User Notes on the right hand side of your screen, click the button which says "Choose Notes Dir" (if you hold your mouse over a button, BW popups tell you what that button does,) and verify that this is set up to the place wherever you have your BW6 notes.

Adelphos
02-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I was a BW 6 user but am quite lost with BW 7...

Go to Tools|Options. When the option dialog box pops up, select the tab that says "Option Flags"

Now select "Notes Options"

Make sure the second and fourth box are checked in "Notes Options," and be sure the first and third are NOT checked.

Now exit out of the option dialog.

On the right side of your screen, select the tab that says "User Notes"

Check the box that says "Autoload" and make sure the "Chapter" box is UNchecked.

From now on, every time you go to a verse that has one of your notes, it will appear in this "User Notes" window.

Michael's suggestion about watching the videos is highly recommended.

Ben Spackman
02-21-2006, 05:11 PM
RE: notes, In the far-right window on the top, click on the "user notes" tab and make sure you don't have "Chapter notes" checked, as it is by default. If it's checked, it only loads your chapter notes. If unchecked, it loads your verse notes.

A lower-case "v" or "c" appears in that tab to tell you if you have c(hapter) or v(erse) notes for that verse (very useful if you're looking at the lexicon window or something.)

Also, in the notes window, click on the wrench which is "set editor options," and make sure that the directory path matches the folder your notes are in.

Mark Eddy
02-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Since others answered your question about the notes, I'll answer this part. I assume that you are in the default layout. The left window is the search window. Once you type a search on the command line it will change what displays in the search window. The search window in BW7 now lists more than just the verse references of BW6. It now includes part of each verse that was found in the search. So if you search in Hebrew, you'll see Hebrew words. If you search a Greek word, you'll see the verses in Greek, etc.
You can always resize the windows so that the windows that have "everything important" will be bigger and the windows you don't use as much will be smaller.
Mark Eddy

MBD
02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
I have followed all the directions on verse notes (in fact I had already done all of those things), still it is not picking up my notes from BW 6.

Adelphos
02-22-2006, 09:03 AM
I have followed all the directions on verse notes (in fact I had already done all of those things), still it is not picking up my notes from BW 6.

Did you move your BW6 note file into the new BW7 folder?

Once having done that, are you sure that the "notes" folder is selected from the directory option in user notes?

If both of these things are true, and if you followed the above instructions, then your notes should appear.

MBD
02-22-2006, 09:10 AM
I finally got my notes working. I had to totally delete the NOTES folder in BW 7 and then move in my BW6 NOTES folder, just copying it in and asking it to replace files in BW7 NOTES did not work. Now about unlocked software I had in BW6, wil they be able to be used in BW 7? I had OÇonnor's syuntax but now I am asked for an unlock code. Will it be the same unlock code as in BW 6 (which I no longer have with me since I am teaching now in Prague)?

Adelphos
02-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Will it be the same unlock code as in BW 6 (which I no longer have with me since I am teaching now in Prague)?

Unfortunately, yes, it will be the same code. Perhaps you can call or email someone who can retrieve it for you. Barring that, you might contact BW and see if they can provide a solution.

If you do get the code, you will have to go to File|Unlock Database.

Once there, select the module you want to unlock and insert your code.

YOU ARE NOT FINISHED.

After you get a confirmation message stating that the code is valid, you must exit BW and insert the Module Disc, and from there you must install the database you unlocked.

Now when you restart BW your module(s) should appear in their place.

For what it's worth, I got kicked out of the country near Prague one time. Something about my papers being out of order, or actually, I didn't have any papers that time. You know, back before the wall came down when they were sort of strict about those things. -:)

Ben Spackman
02-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Now about unlocked software I had in BW6, wil they be able to be used in BW 7? I had OÇonnor's syuntax but now I am asked for an unlock code. Will it be the same unlock code as in BW 6 (which I no longer have with me since I am teaching now in Prague)?

That's odd. The Beta installation (I don't have the release yet) asked if you want to scan for for previously unlocked files, and didn't ask for codes for anything it found. It's possible you missed that option installing.

Matthew Hoskinson
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
If you click File | Unlock Database, you will have the option to Search for Unlock Codes on your own system. That feature allowed me to unlock the BDAG and HALOT databases that I had purchased for BW6.

Hope this helps.